Final Furlong pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 22 September 2003 3.25pm
Anyone know what is happening to this chequered luminous blue pub on grange road- it has been closed for a few weeks.

It resisted a development recently, as Southwark council deemed it a "viable concern and important to the local community" (that's if kareoke is your thang...)

a neighbour said they spotted terence conran at the building site next door to it...we can but dream (but not another All Bar One pleeease!)

Monday 22 September 2003 4.33pm
The pub's closure might be explained from the following extact from Southwark Councils much improved website:

LBS Vs BAKER - On the same date (1 July 2003) Mrs Linda Baker was found guilty in her absence by Camberwell Magistrates Court of four breaches of the conditions of the annual public entertainment licence in respect of the Final Furlong at 162 Grange Road, SE1. The Magistrates decided Mrs Baker should be present for sentencing and adjourned. Mrs Baker did not appear at the reconvened date and a warrant for her arrest has been obtained. In the meantime Mrs Baker has not applied for renewal of her public entertainment licence for the Final Furlong and this has lapsed accordingly.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_4298.pdf

Tuesday 23 September 2003 8.04am
Well, let's hope nothing common happens, and it turns into a lovely designer gastropub with no oiks
Tuesday 23 September 2003 8.33am
nice pub....but non-coran please.
Tuesday 23 September 2003 9.27am
great detective work Mel! always thought it looked a dodgy kinda place with its darkened windows and bouncers...

can't help feeling selfish and hoping for another garrison type establishment...

maybe Ivanhoe would suggest a gastro pub serving pie and mash in a slightly patronising acknowledgement to the locality ;-)
Tuesday 23 September 2003 9.55am
I am with bart on this one. I do feel slightly guilty for wanting a "better kind" of pub but I never wanted to go to the Final Furlong as the music and look out didn't attract me.
Anyway, I can't wait for this corner of Grange Road to start having more choices, like a decent pub, a nice shop to buy some milk that is not covered in black soot, a deli... ( it is my wish list, I can add whatever I want, can't I?)
Monday 29 September 2003 11.23am
was there a deli when you moved to the area?

have the residents survived for thousands of years without gastropubs?

if you want this sort of stuff so badly, try SW postcodes when looking for places to live
Monday 29 September 2003 11.52am
I used to be a customer of the F.F. still would if they let us old girls have a few more seats! the funny thing is when you go in there all the youngsters are sitting down! it would be nice to have a family pub in the area with a nice outside area .

a little bit of music ....a family night....a granny night...an oap night....no bouncers would be needed!

A good location for a pub as well.....

jan
Monday 29 September 2003 3.45pm
How utterly depressing are these calls for gastro pubs and "no oiks"?

It feels like a kind of class version of Yugoslavia's ethnic cleansing. The garrison is fine if you like drinking with 30 something designer types. Why can't we have pubs that don't exclude anyone? And where should "the Oiks" go when you've closed all their pubs?

Up until a couple of years ago this area was properly mixed but since the loft conversions and luxury flats have started filling up we seem to be approaching a kind of class apartheid.

So, keep out of The Marigold unless you intend to join in.

Monday 29 September 2003 3.55pm
right with you Harry.

Sorry for any confusion, but my earlier message (oiks/gastropubs) was a piss-taker.

I'll say it again, if you want conran and delis, it's just up the river in Chelsea. There are flats for rent there, as well.

(went in the Marigold the other week after seeing the loony put in his box. pretty full, so didn't stay for long, but friendly locals seemed happy to squeeze in a couple of passers by)
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: