Segregation at Tower Bridge?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 21 October 2007 2.46pm
Hi

My friends are getting a Civil Partnership next year and received an invitation to view Tower Bridge as a venue this weekend. Tower Bridge split the weekend, Saturday was for Civil Weddings (Straight) and Sunday for Civil Partnership (Gay).

My friends could not attend Sunday and wanted to go on Saturday but were told it wouldn't be possible. Why they felt the needed to split the weekend between gay and straight I do not know.

I believe that this is segregation and may possibly be illegal?

Just wanted to get others thoughts on the subject.
Thanks
Glyn
Sunday 21 October 2007 2.51pm
interesting, we had out civil partnership there almost two years ago, we were the first, had a great time, i think what they did, to your friends is wrong, whether it is illegal or not i am not sure, but wrong and they should have let anyone come along, since your friends would be paying customers,

i think an offical explantion from the company would be a good place to start.

let us know how you get on,
Sunday 21 October 2007 6.06pm
I can see why they might hold separate days (slightly differing needs, marketing etc) but to refuse to let them attend on the "wrong" day is not good at all. I'm guessing they've now lost some potentially lucrative business?
Sunday 21 October 2007 7.44pm
They are both Civil unions so as for marketing material then they should be the same, or maybe thats opening up a whole new discussion.

As for legality, I wonder where it stands under the Provision of service act etc.

They have lost the business from my friends but it seemed strange that they would do something like that....
Monday 22 October 2007 1.42pm
I think it's b....y outrageous! The next thing, they'll be stating that it's only after dark!!

Yes, I think it should be challeneged and those reponsible should offer a public explanation - and apology.
Monday 22 October 2007 2.56pm
>They are both Civil unions

No. One is marriage, the other is a civil partnership.

I cannot think that either bunch would consider that their open day had been improved by the presence of the other crowd.
Monday 22 October 2007 3.46pm
Why would either "bunch" mind who else was there?
Monday 22 October 2007 4.02pm
and you could have a humaninist ceremoney too, so it doen't really matter if they are same sex or not. its mad. i will be looking into this this week as i'm eager to know the reasons behind it
Monday 22 October 2007 4.45pm
mapmaker wrote:
>They are both Civil unions
No. One is marriage, the other is a civil partnership.

Of course they are both civil unions - if you're getting married in Tower Bridge it is not a religious marriage.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/marriages/where-can-i-marry/civil--marriages.asp
Monday 22 October 2007 10.57pm
I used to work in the wedding list of a major department store. The thinking is that traditional wedding couples like to see strong imagery of other happy couples or things that reinforce the whole "bride and groom" idea, whereas for same sex couples this overbearing imagery is off-putting. Weddings and civil partnerships are big business and marketing tends to be intense and tightly focused.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: