'More London' Parking

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 26 October 2007 11.35am
Moving into a building on Tooley Street next week...what are longer term residents' thoughts on parking?

Is it worth renting a secure space...inside the CC or outside...or is a resident parking permit normally good enough round there??? It's not a Ferrari but I would like to be able to get a space when I want one.

Thanks and be prepared for more qs!
Friday 26 October 2007 1.06pm
I live on Mill Street, so a bit further out than where you'll be, and we have parking in our block, but there is lots of on-street parking around the back on Dockhead/Parkers Row. There is always space to park on the street there, and there are often quite fancy cars parked there, and it seems to be safe for them. I looked into residents' permits and think they were about 80 for a year, which is fairly cheap, particularly when renting a parking space in our car park would've been about that much a month.
Friday 26 October 2007 1.28pm
Southwark Council has a "Parking shop" (I think it's on OKR or the Walworth Rd - it's ages since I've been there) and they'll answer queries for you. Getting residents permits depends on zones and if you tell them your postcode they'll tell you what options are available in that zone.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 26 October 2007 1.34pm
The place Ivanhoe mentions is on the Old Kent Road - just down from Burgess Park (roughly opposite the fire station) on that row of shops with the raised pavement.

Tel: 0870 600 6768

They sorted out a double yellows waiver permit for my removal van when I moved into my flat.
Friday 26 October 2007 1.45pm
thanks a lot chuckalata....91 for the year compared to the 100 pcm I just got quoted for a secure space.
Friday 26 October 2007 1.57pm
ok...thanks for the adice...located the parking shop and worked out what I need to get a permit...still worried about the parking in Zone F though.

Seems you have to park within the zone you live in, and that stops at Tower Bridge Road. I was a bit blown away by the proximity to the tube and views of the Tower and forgot to take much in when viewing....what are the immediate streets like for parking?
Friday 26 October 2007 2.35pm
Unless you drive a lot, you may well find it's more economical and just as practical to save cash on insurance (which will most likely be expensive, even with loads of no-claims and a worthless old banger, if my experience is anything to go by), road tax, parking, servicing, AA cover, etc to hire cars as and when you need them.

Tower Bridge Rd has lots of car rental places. And you get to drive a new-ish car every time you want one. It works for us.

Friday 26 October 2007 3.06pm
Ivanhoe I'd just been thinking the exact same thing, especially as I am just discovering the wonders of London Bridge's rail links.....plus factor in depreciation to those costs and your looking at a few grand a year...

Thanks Ivanhoe....decision made!

Do i have the nerve to refresh the 'which gym' and 'can anyone recommend a cleaner' qs!?
Friday 26 October 2007 3.41pm
There are some "which hire car" threads on here as well (also some threads on Streetcar and similar rent-by-the-hour operations).

(If you ditch your car, you also get optional "benefits" of:
a) being smug and bigging up your green-ness
b) telling all your mates that you live so centrally in soooooooper SE1 that there's no need to have a car anyway. "Cars are so 20th-century-suburban" ;0))

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: