David Blaine - part 2

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 23 September 2003 9.33pm
Please continue discussion of David Blaine in this thread.

Thanks,

James

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 24 September 2003 7.18am
Is there anything more to say?
Wednesday 24 September 2003 8.11am
Nope...

apart from I'm an aussie and am grateful to this country for it's hospitality...

it's a free world and if people don't like this country then they can go back to their gated communities in Joborg where people really fear for their lives in a climate of murder, robbery, rape and corruption.

spleen vented.

normal service resumed - thank you.
Wednesday 24 September 2003 11.28am
for goodness sake David Blaine is a magician! He is not really in that bloody box!
Wednesday 24 September 2003 11.56am
Well Dave, have you been to any footy events, or any live concerts ? More to the Point, have you been down to Tower bridge and witnessed the jeering for yourself?

This is simply my opinion and scene's that I have witnessed. The Blaine thread has nothing to do with problems in South Africa, and My pointing out that I am a Saffa was simply to outline that I'm a foreigner, with a different view.

It seems however, that this was enough to bring out the Best in some of the forum users, incuding yourself, who know very little about the situation in South Africa. I accept there's problems, but the Huge Wave of Saffa's in London at the moment aren't here because of Fear .... They're Here, same as all the Ozzies and Kiwis and everyone else because of the opportunity. GB is an amazing place to live, work and travel. When I'm done with my travelling and have saved some sterling, I'll go home and hopefully benefit from having overseas work experience.

Just remember, all those things you mentioned, Murder, Rape, Robbery ..etc ..etc ... can happen to you anywhere in the world. The only news one ever hears is the bad knews, and you can bet your billabong there's plenty good happening in South Africa too...

G'day Sport !!!
Wednesday 24 September 2003 12.23pm
Mike

Firstly, get rid of the chip; it doesn't suit.

Secondly, you did start this argument (because that, after all is what it is) by slagging off your host country and then claiming (quite outrageously) that it would not occur in South Africa, despite the harsh realities of the levels of armed protection that most South Africans must endure.

I have a great respect for all Saffas I have met, except for one. Your pompous posts remind a lot of him.

Rant over. Back to Blaine:

Who on earth dug that crater on the eastern side of Potters Field? What is the council going to do about that?
Wednesday 24 September 2003 12.57pm
Back to Blaine indeed and back to a place where we can freely discuss such matters without censorship (I think) so long as we are being reasonable. In my experience of this website James is a good arbiter of reasonableness.

Sadly, the same cannot be said of the official Southwark Council website where I chose today to air my views in a calm rational manner but the "forum moderator" refused to include my post. All I want to know is how much Blaine's company paid us via our Council, as made reference to in the Council's Marketing Department message. Neither controversial nor secret, surely?

Wednesday 24 September 2003 12.57pm
probably mr blaines latrine.....

jan
Wednesday 24 September 2003 1.07pm
Colin

I had a similar experience on Channel 4's forum (yes, I know, I should have known better than to venture there).

Most of the forum posts seem to be of the type "Is David cheating", to which someone else replies "Of course not, because he's God".

I got into a good discussion about the situation as it exists for those who live in the area (if only to highlight the case for the benefit of those who live in their sleepy villages watching this event on TV). Unfortunately, Channel 4 pulled the discussion. It seems that any attempt to publicise the plight of the residents gets blocked.
Wednesday 24 September 2003 2.31pm
Martin
So we've both been mucked about but I guess as C4 are independent they are free to do what they like, though I'm not condoning their behaviour. The Council though are "public servants" managing public property, our cash and supposed to be acting in our interests. They can't choose what to tell us and what to keep quiet just because they've screwed up and won't admit it. Whilst they censored my comments there is a link to this site..........

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: