SE1 P.O. Box deliveries -- nothing for weeks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 30 October 2007 9.16am
My domestic post is more or less back to normal, although Time Out is still arriving a week late, and last week's issue still hasn't shown up. But my PO Box post (which is delivered to my home address) has dried up completely. Nothing for weeks, including 2 Ebay items posted in the UK on 7 October, and at least 4 letters.

Anyone else having trouble?
Tuesday 30 October 2007 11.02am
Yes, my deliveres have been a little slow. I too am waiting on two ebays items from around the 7th
Tuesday 30 October 2007 12.59pm
<helpful mode>I suggest moving to W1. Their 'Mandela Way' office never has queues, never loses things, and doesn't demand twelve forms of ID before releasing your post.</helpful mode>
Tuesday 30 October 2007 2.10pm
Little confused there, mappy, Mandela Way is in SE1.
Tuesday 30 October 2007 2.15pm
I assume he meant the W1 equivalent of the dread Mandela Way office.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 12.50am
Trouble here too on the postal front. The horror was not just from witnessing huge (at least twenty people) cues outside Mandela Way depot late one Friday (23rd Oct) afternoon, (one woman said she'd been waiting for more than two hours hopeful they would re-open), but being told directly lots of post has yet to even reach them.

I presented a red "undeliverable" slip to them last week, having let a week pass before daring to hope they had it. The despondent desk-dispatcher told me they had definitely not yet received anything from that period because it had all gone to another bigger depot, and that it would take at least another week to arrive due to the strike related back log. But if I leave it too long don't they send it back to the poster? I will try again tomorrow, but oh dear, my hopes are now very low. Perhaps everyone should have gone on strike and not dared post anything?
Wednesday 31 October 2007 9.16am
The Mapmaker wrote:
<helpful mode>I suggest moving to W1. Their 'Mandela Way' office never has queues, never loses things, and doesn't demand twelve forms of ID before releasing your post.</helpful mode>

I fully agree with this. I have lived in W1 for 4 years before moving to SE1 and the Rathbone Place Royal Mail office worked really well. Post went never missing, no queues and friendly staff.

The postal problems are the result of complete and utter mismanagement in Mandela Way. Never ever did I loose so many letters and parcels. My last experience wit them was that I paid 50 to have my mail forwarded after moving home. During the 6 months that I paid for, I think 20 letters have been properly forwarded: several hundreds have been delivered at the old address.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 10.07am
Yesterday I received a letter saying I had an item to collect at Parcel Force in Camden. The letter was dated during the strike, and has only just arrived.
They won't leave a card at a shared entrance, so they have to write.

I rang Parcel Force, and they confirmed they have returned the package because I never collected it. I wryly asked if they knew there had been a postal strike, and that notification letters were taking weeks to arrive. The person I spoke with confirmed they have not made any allowances for the strike, and that Parcelforce is "fined" if they don't stick to the rules and return items after a week.

I commented that surely most packages have not been collected, and did they not detect a pattern and perhaps build this into their system? Employee said yes, they have been returning a lot.

Insane.
Thursday 1 November 2007 1.15pm
The mind bogles (yes, "bogles"):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7072871.stm

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: