John Harvard Library revamp

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Wednesday 31 October 2007 12.00pm
I've been in a few times and found it a dim place claustrophobic place so hope the refit changes that feeling.

The council claims that the installation of a self-service book issuing system will free up staff to help visitors get the most out of the other services the library offers.

I've witnessed this in use at the fabulous new 21st century library in Brighton and it looks great shame they don't have it at my library (even tho my memberships lapsed!).
Wednesday 31 October 2007 1.05pm
Whatever happened to the promise of a new Harvard Community Library in the London Bridge Tower ("Shard of Glass"), made last minute by Irvine Sellar at the Planning Concent meeting at Southwark Town Hall, when the tower got Planning permission, as part of the planning gain? The London Bridge Station site is well served by public transport and will be hugely attractive for a 21st century Library, rather than the poor location of the present offer.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 2.29pm
I can see that an alternative site may offer more floor space, but I wouldn't describe the JH's current location as poor.

It is virtually opposite Borough Station and there are lots of buses running up and down the High Street. There are also many residents living in the surrounding roads who benefit from the library's existing location - me included!

Although the decor is a little scruffy, I am always really impressed at how quick the JH is at getting in newly-published books and it gets a huge thumbs up from me. I hope they keep up the good work after the revamp.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 8.20pm
1.4 million revamp for John Harvard Library.!!!
I assume all the books will be first editions at 1.4 million.
It's not really a library any more, just an extension of the study centre.
I haven't used it for a couple of years as the supply of books is diminishing rapidly, and they never seem to have a supply of Elmore Leonard books.
Wednesday 31 October 2007 11.22pm
having just moved to near-by the library, I have to say I am happy with the selection especially the new DVDs. but for me the Hackney libraries are far better, especially the Mare Street one. it has loads of stuff is really new and all the inter library loans are free. unlike southwark where it is 50p to pay for them.

its funny to see people desperately emailing essays etc. outside the library when it is closed.
Monday 5 November 2007 12.16pm
I'd just like to say the staff in john harvard are lovely and helped me order in a rare item. It got very noisy in there for a while but they seem to have reined in the teenagers a bit, so if that's put you off before, try again. they are also open to suggestions for items to add and seem to have a lot of empty shelfs so they can certainly house stuff! good language selection for cds.
Wednesday 22 July 2009 2.50pm
I agree that the staff at John Harvard were good. Hope they are there when the library reopens. I sent an email to Southwark Libraries yesterday enquiring about the re-opening date and have just had a reply saying the library will re-open 'sometime in September' which seems disappointingly vague!
Saturday 25 July 2009 11.58am
Does anyone know when the library is to reopen?
Sunday 26 July 2009 10.41am
Southwark Council are still saying "late summer", but I have my doubts.
Sunday 26 July 2009 11.30am
Thanks. Its so annoying, I just spent 30 on reading books yesterday.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: