Anchor Bankside

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 28 January 2002 11.16am
I noticed that the Anchor has had its insides ripped out and the barbecue area on its west side knocked down. Does anyone know what sort of phoenix is going to arise from its ashes and how long I will have to wait to revisit it?
Monday 28 January 2002 11.21am
Closed till the end of March, I think...

They're opening a Premier Lodge hotel at the back. More details at <a href="http://www.theanchorbankside.co.uk/">www.theanchorbankside.co.uk</a>
Wednesday 6 November 2002 12.31pm
Has anyone been in the recently re-opened Anchor Bankside? What are the rooms and the pub, eating facilities like? I'm looking for something simple, cosy and possibly a river view ( or something expensive but spectaculary different) for a night's stay in November. Any thoughts anyone?

Toni
Saturday 28 February 2009 10.49pm
Well, as someone who has been visiting this pub for very many years, I have to say that once you are inside, it no longer feels like and old London pub or a historic building: you could be anywhere.
The worst thing is the stunning smell of the toilets - they look clean, but smell bad beyond belief, and loo paper seems absent.
The staff are pleasant enough, but unwilling to sort out any aggravation from customers: on our most recent visit the end door was being blocked by a horrible group of blokes who had annexed the entire bar by putting a chair up against the door and hurling abuse at anyone who tried to enter from the street: the staff were told but did not want to take them on.
It is still lovely to sit outside, though!
Saturday 28 February 2009 11.20pm
Isn't it a branch of Starbucks on Thames ?
Sunday 1 March 2009 1.09am
suzanne1 wrote:
Well, as someone who has been visiting this pub for very many years, I have to say that once you are inside, it no longer feels like and old London pub or a historic building: you could be anywhere.
I have no desire to burst your bubble Suzanne, perhaps as a younger person your perception of "an old London pub" differs from an older Londoner's, mine for example.
If the brewery was originally trying to recreate a "spit and sawdust" place of Victorian times then they failed miserably. The place has never been anything but a tourist trap, tricked out to resemble a Hollywood version of where Londoners would go for a pot of ale to escape the fog.
In addition I have to say that The Anchor as it was prior to it's renovation, bore as much similarity to a "local" of the late 50's to the early 60's as More London does to the Tower of London.
As for the unpleasantness that you witnessed, that unfortunately comes under the heading of progress.
In the past, a "guvnor", dependant on keeping the locals happy in order to run a successful business would never had stood for that, but someone employed as a manager, working for a wage in a pub , probably staffed by foreign nationals on a minimum wage who not unreasonably have no desire to take a chance of getting punched or worse will just turn a blind eye.
Monday 2 March 2009 11.05pm
suzanne1 wrote:
It is still lovely to sit outside, though!

I absolutely agree. I wouldn't go in - you are dead right it is soulless and a bit smelly. I wonder if you could just pitch up in the summer with your own booze to the outside bit though. Much cheaper too (what with it being really 1929 and not 2009 any more).

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: