Brigadoon - mystery pub name

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 24 September 2003 3.56pm
It's entirely possible that I've hallucinated this, but a few weeks back I (am sure I) had a very pleasant night in a pub on Tabard St (opposite the take away pizza place Nr Long Lane - probably on the corner of Nebraska St).

Great pub, Harveys Bitter and the best cider I've had anywhere in SE1 (possible excption being the pub just on the left as you come over Tower Bridge going Sth).

Whilst the building is still there, and if you look through the windows it still looks like a pub inside, I cannot find out:

- what's this place's name? Does it have one?
- when does it open (as I've been by a couple of times since, hoping for a drink, and found it shut)?

Confused. Please help
Wednesday 24 September 2003 4.17pm
The pub you're refering to is the Royal Oak - it's a brilliant pub - the only problem is they don't open at the weekends (yet) - we live in hope though!!!

There is a map and overview of the pub in the Restaurant Guide in this site.

They have been winning awards for their beers, and Simon Hughes MP has a drink in there every now and then

They also have a rather nice room available for hire for meetings/functions if you are interested - have never eaten there, but the food is pubby and wholesome looking rather than gastro-ish...

Wednesday 24 September 2003 4.31pm
Thank you, thank you. It was probably a Friday that I remember being in there, and it's always been a Sat or Sun when I've tried to go back, so your comment on no weekend opening explains it all.

Glad to know I wasn't tripping (although if anyone can help me with supplies for that, then this would be a GREAT notice voard)
Wednesday 24 September 2003 5.12pm
drink enough harveys and there'll be no need for the lysergic. wait for the xmas ale, or if you can't, they have it in bottles for the brave hearted.

more info here:
Wednesday 24 September 2003 5.18pm
Fantastic. Thanks. Will try the Xmas Ale once I hear my first jingle (probably sometime this month, then), and report back on whether it gives me the wings of a shamen, or just a nice night and a nasty morning after.

It's really heartening to know that two other people also believe that this pub both (a) exists, and (b) opens to the public once in a while.

Friday 26 September 2003 12.46pm
not just two - it was packed last night!
Tuesday 30 September 2003 11.15am
The Royal Oak is probably the best pub in the area, It has everything a good pub should have: good beer, good cider (Thatcher's cider is sensational, you can buy bottles of their single varietal ciders in most supermarkets) and best of all, a good mix of people of all different ages and types. It's apity I'm not drinking at the moment.
Tuesday 7 October 2003 10.09am
All the above is true except for the bit about Thatcher's cider, it is great but they don't sell it, and it being the best pub in the area, I've changed my mind, I was in there last night and it wasn't that good. - Ah well...........
Tuesday 7 October 2003 10.52am
No, but the Stowford Press is lovely. At least as good as Thatchers (and not as strong).

Where do you think is the best pint of cider/best pub in SE1 then? (My only other vote is for the lovely cider in the pub just over tower bridge on the left - can't remember the name but before you get to the pommellers arms)
Tuesday 7 October 2003 11.06am
I don't know, I wish I could remember where I had that Thatcher's. As for pubs, there are so many; I quite like The Lord Clyde, just off Marshalsea Rd, although I haven't been in there for a while.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: