Recycling collection bins in blocks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 3 November 2007 9.43am
I've been trying for a while to get recycling bins put in at the blocks in the Tower Bridge Piazza. I understand that if you have a main door flat the council will collect recyclables from you, but not, apparently, if you live in a block.

I've emailed the Environmental Contact Centre at the council who have passed it on to Waste Management - this was in April. I contacted them again in June and got this reply: "In regards to your request, Waste Management will not contact the call centre to tell us any information. Weather they decide to or not decide to place recycling bins in your area they will just do so or not do so without letting out any information". Not very helpful. I've since emailed again but no reply.

Can anyone advise on who I should contact next to try and get this resolved?

Many thanks.
Saturday 3 November 2007 11.38am
I live in a tower block we have a collection every two weeks of recycable stuff. They post us a bag through the door and then we leave it at the entrance for them to collect two weeks later.

So it can be done!!
Saturday 3 November 2007 2.02pm
Hi. You could try emailing:
Patricia.Watson@southwark.gov.uk

She was very helpful - however, be prepared for problems with the people who collect/empty the recycling bins. After several weeks, we asked for the bins to be removed because they were not being emptied properly. The recycling area was also a magnet for those anti-social/lazy people who dumped their household rubbish - which was also left by the street cleaning people.

As with virtually everything, Southwark Council makes even the simplest task a major problem.
Saturday 3 November 2007 2.19pm
We have a succesful recycling system in our block: three bins, one each for tins / plastic; glass; paper. The Council was quick to see it installed. I'm afraid I no longer have the name of the lady who our then managing agent liaised with at SC.

My only concern is why we have to separate everything. Whilst it's not a big problem I'm sure it must be a dicnicentive for some. We have friends in a big development in Greewich who simply have a number of bins into which ANY recyleable materials can be deposited.
Saturday 3 November 2007 5.19pm
Thanks all, i'll try emailing Patricia and see where that takes me.
Monday 5 November 2007 9.49am
All Southwark's recycling bins seem to be the separate ones. In Lewisham, you can put everything in the same bin. And, they have recently put out bins for tetrapaks, which have been un-recyclable before. My only experience of Lewisham recycling is at the Sainsbury's at New Cross Gate, but I presume it's the same across the borough. It's much easier, as you said.

We have had no recycling facilities in my block for the past 3 years, but they've recently put in a paper recycling bin. No one uses it though, I don't think - but people in my block are too lazy to go into the bin room, and just leave their rubbish out for the foxes, so recycling is probably impossible for them.
Monday 5 November 2007 10.53am
being someone who lives on top of the bin store, the thought of people dropping bottles in a bin and them smashing doesn't fill me with joy! do they have 'quiet' bins?
Monday 5 November 2007 11.26am
In our block, we are provided with plastic bags in which we leave the stuff to be recycled (no sorting)and these are picked up every Tuesday around lunch time. It works pretty well, although they refuse to pick up any recyclable material if it is not in the special bags. I don't know why.
It's encouraging to see that most people take advantage of the service.
Monday 5 November 2007 11.42am
I spoke to a very rude person at Southwark Council on friday (seriously, no people skills). For recycling bins it must apparently be the management company for the leasehold to request this so I will contact them instead - I feel so guilty when I don't recycle!
Monday 5 November 2007 12.02pm
I'm following this thread with interest. Although I'm not in SE1 I do live in a private block with a communal entrance in Southwark, and have been looking into the issue. I do recycle - I have a pull-along shopping trolley which i fill with bags of recyclable waste and empty in public recycling bins on the way to the shops once or twice a week - but Southwark really don't make it easy, and for those who are less inclined to put the effort in, it must all just seem like an inconvenience that's not worth bothering with.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: