Night time economy in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 4 November 2007 7.05pm
This is for all the people who are in some way or the other way associated to London's South Bank.
I am an Urban Design Student doing my research on understanding the possibilities for boosting the Night Life on London's South Bank.

It would be great if I receive feedback on this topic ,as in what forms would you like to have Night Life ,where ,if at all in the context of London's South Bank .
It is about extending the Retial, Entertainment, Leisure from West End onto the South Bank till late ,making sure that we have the same vitality that we see today at Piccadily Circus or Leicester Square.

Many Thanks,

Krunal Shah,
M.A.Urban Design,
the University of Greenwich
krunsh@rediffmail.com
Sunday 4 November 2007 7.12pm
God forbid it ever looks like Leicester Square! It's vital enough thanks, take thy clipboard and be damned!
Sunday 4 November 2007 10.56pm
If you've walked along the Southbank at night from the festivl hall along to Tate modern I think its pretty lively and vital! The challenge is extending that southwards.
Sunday 4 November 2007 11.15pm
London does not need the atmosphere of Leicester Square recreated elsewhere - drunken and lary out-of-towners screeching and starting fights. Piccadilly Circus is just a busy and bright junction, no real night time activity of any real worth going on there.

As a former urban planning student I suggest finding something more desirable to extend to the South Bank! As other posters have said, it already has its own vibe and is popular. Personally I'd like to see a couple of the least charming pubs replaced with something else and perhaps the shops at Gabriel's Whard and OXO staying open later into the evening, and maybe cafes or food outlets that are less formal and expensive than restaurants, without being pubs.
Monday 5 November 2007 9.31am
i think my comparison of piccadilly circus and leicester square has been mis-interpreted. It was meant only to set an example of how it has been successful in doubling the number of vistors in last few years. It is not about creating a second leicester sq.. but more about gaining equally vital night life ,,may be catering to a totally different clientle.
Monday 5 November 2007 9.36am
i agree with the idea of extending the south bank southwards,one of my observations was while the bank itself is full of people,when one walks just one street down southwards,,they are totally dead,you can hardly find any pedestrians.
Monday 5 November 2007 12.33pm
krunal shah wrote:
i think my comparison of piccadilly circus and leicester square has been mis-interpreted. It was meant only to set an example of how it has been successful in doubling the number of vistors in last few years. It is not about creating a second leicester sq.. but more about gaining equally vital night life ,,may be catering to a totally different clientle.

I think you are making several presumptions here that are potentially dangerous. Firstly the SE1 area is predominantly residential, it is completely different to the West End. With vitality almost inevitably comes noise, I don't think many SE1 residents would be happy about this!

A comment that many friends who have visited me in Bermondsey Street have made is that they love the chilled out feel of the area despite it being so central, I'd say that's a pretty unique selling point. I personally can't think of anything worse than the night time 'vitality' of areas such as Leicester Square being recreated in SE1, frankly I wouldn't go to LS for a night out if you paid me. If I want a large and noisy night out, I'll go to Shoreditch, 30 minutes walk or a quick cab ride.

Far be it from me to suggest how to approach your research but is it not vital to first understand what the needs and desires of the local community are before making an assumption that a more vibrant nightlife would improve SE1?
PKM
Monday 5 November 2007 12.50pm
krunal shah wrote:

I'm not sure I'd like more visitors on the SouthBank. I like the fact that this area has a mix of visitors and locals. Places like Leicester Sq are full of transient people and lets face it how many Londoners go there? Not many I reckon. Whilst London is a magnet for visitors and long be it so, I would also like it to continue to be a place thats enjoyable to live in.

I agree with the posts above, the SouthBank is already vibrant in its own way.
Monday 5 November 2007 2.21pm
As a person who lives along the Southbank there is more than enough noise to contend with - deliveries, cleaners, refuse collections etc let alone visitors to the restaurants and bars. Planners seem to forget about local residents (or more likely they just don't care - as long as they make their money!)
Monday 5 November 2007 3.14pm
Couldn't agree more with the comments above. The nightlife round the southbank is great as it is, just needs to be extended south.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network