Recommendations for a quiet indoor place in the evenings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 5 November 2007 1.31am
I'm looking for somewhere in SE1 which is reasonably quiet and that's open in the evenings, at least until 9pm where I could sit and sketch with a friend. Ideally it would be within walking distance of a Northern line station and reasonably well-lit. For those of you who've been there, somewhere which has the ambience of The Garrison on a Sunday morning, would be ideal.

Having said that, it doesn't have to be a cafe/bar, I don't really mind what sort of place it is. For instance previously we've met up in the Great Court at the British Museum but that is only open in the evenings on Thursdays and Fridays which is a bit limiting.

Does anyone have any suggestions? All help gratefully received.

Tim
TAK
Monday 5 November 2007 1.49am
Royal Festival Hall?

and what about the Barbican (ec2) - I think this closes at midnight
Monday 5 November 2007 10.02am
Thanks. That's not a bad idea, though I should imagine that in the evenings it's pretty busy and noisy. Any other suggestions?
TAK
Monday 5 November 2007 11.06am
Festivall Hall really varies on what's going on in the evening and of course gets really busy before and after concerts as well as in intervalls. However, inbetween in can be really nice and even empty, lots of space, sofas etc. I was there the other Saturday from about 8.45-9.45pm and it was wonderfull to read on one of those sofas. Next door is also the Queen Elizabeth Foyer, however I personally always find it a bit dark in there.

Maybe even somewhere in the National Theatre Foyer? - there are lots of different levels inside.

Also worth giving a try might be Tate Modern on Friday and Saturaday nights - they're open till 10pm if I remember correctly on those nights.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: