Blue Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 9 November 2007 1.39pm
A mystery of Bermondsey is Blue Market. What is going on with this area...the shops all seem to be closed up and what is still open is very uninviting. This would be a great place for some healthy restaurants or some great shops. Does anyone know why it has been neglected and what is to happen with it?
Friday 9 November 2007 1.44pm
There are various proposals ongoing about the Blue Market at the moment. They include things like having a farmer's market there, and refurbishing the market. It defintiely needs something doing to it although the main problem seems to be people using either OKR or Surrey Quays for their day to day shopping. I'm not sure how it will overcome that and attract people back to that part of Bermondsey.
Friday 9 November 2007 1.46pm
Some info from Southwark News. Not sure what happened at the October meeting referred to here:,news,7103,440,00.htm
Friday 9 November 2007 6.03pm
I love the Blue! Its got a fantastic and useful range of shops and market stalls. Its very friendly e.g. the manager of the coop saw my partner with plants, started talking about her invasive wild garlic and later in the month gave a whole bunch of free plants to us.

Its got a 30 foot boa constrictor in the aquarium shop - go in the back room, its as good as london zoo.
The Turkish barbers set fire to your ear hair (as painful as it sounds but a great service for the more mature of us). Its tatty and urban and heaven forfend that it ends up too gentrified. Its even got a wimpey.

We want - one branch of Monmouth, one decent bar (another Fort?) - one mid price restaurant - fewer post Market street drinkers - one less chemist.

Best of all.Its a Starbucks and Tesco free zone!
Wednesday 30 July 2008 11.22am
Are you a local resident to the Blue? If so, we'd like your help! I work for an organisation called Carbon Descent and we're working with Southwark Council to run a series of walkabouts along Southwark Park Road and the Blue Market Place in August. These walkabouts are a chance for local residents to have their opinions heard, and say what they do and don't like about the area. We report our findings to the council.

There are four audits at different times of day, and all participants will get refreshments and a free energy saving light bulb for their time.

The dates for the walkabouts are:

13th August 1.15pm
13th August 8pm
14th August 9am
16th August 12pm

Start and end points to be confirmed, but will all be around the area we're covering. If you'd like any more information, or to sign up for an audit, please get in touch. I'll post the final details when they're confirmed.

020 7089 6970

(I know it's not strictly speaking SE1, but this thread came up during my research into the Blue!)
Monday 4 August 2008 11.10am

Just to update you, the times have changed slightly:

13th August 1.15pm
13th August 8pm
14th August 9am
16th August 2.45pm

All the details are now on our website including start and end points.

Hope to see you there. The walking audits are a great opporunity to get your opinons across, and to help play a part in shaping the future of the Blue, so come along!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: