Riverside ward by-election - Thursday 13 December

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 12 November 2007 11.17am
As you might have realised there is a by-election being held in your ward on 13 December.

We are looking for volunteers who can send us copies of the election leaflets that come through their door, so we can keep track of the claims, counter-claims and commitments being made by the various parties.

It might help if you have a front door or mailbox on the street where leafleters are more likely to be able to reach you.

If you:
a) live in Riverside ward
and
b) normally receive election literature through your door
and
c) would like to help our election coverage

please send me an email.

We'll send you stamped addressed envelopes, or if it's convenient for you to fax or email the leaflets then that's fine too.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Related news & features

Wednesday 5 December 2007 9.11pm
I don't live in the area , but does anyone know if this election will be of the calibre to get any TV coverage.
Thursday 6 December 2007 8.29am
only when labour win ...
Monday 10 December 2007 4.04pm
I do. I recently received a leaflet from the UKIP candidate Fernando Grace which is also available here: http://groups.msn.com/ukip-southwark/_whatsnew.msnw.

The first manifesto pledge is to "axe the EU [sic.] Human Rights Act". You'd expect someone standing for election as councillor to have half a brain. The Human Rights Act is an act of the UK Parliament, not the EU. The Act implements the European Convention on Human Rights, which again has nothing whatsoever to do with the EU, but rather the Council of Europe, and was adopted after the Second World War partly to protect individuals from the sorts of atrocities perpetrated by the Nazis and was written, in the main, by British lawyers.

The rest of the leaflet contains the usual right-wing nonsense about asylum seekers, uncontrolled immigration and foreign criminals (interesting, given that he appears to be a Portuguese immigrant himself), but I had stopped reading at this point.
Tuesday 11 December 2007 6.58pm
So, we have the Southwark Riverside by-election on the 13th.

So far, I have received the usual leaflet from the Lib-Dems - with it's "Tories can't win here" headline that they reprint over, and over again.

Apart from that, I have no idea what the manifestos of the other candidates look like.

Anyone else actually know where the candidates stand on local issues? e.g. Berkeley Homes and the old coach park, the closure of the police station on Tooley Street, etc.

Got a call from the Tories - the polite lady had no clue on these issues but told me about their "Campaign for door entry systems" - hmmm.

I really don't care about their politics, just how they can help make Riverside a better place.
Tuesday 11 December 2007 11.11pm
The only website I've managed to find is this wonderfully amateur Youtube video from the UKIP candidate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_h0OKctlUk

I think he has to get marks for effort - no other party seems to have a dedicated web presence for the campaign, apart from a few press releases.
Wednesday 12 December 2007 12.58am
Many thanks to everyone who has sent in leaflets. Quite a blizzard of paper!

Here is an attempt at turning that campaign literature into a grid:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/community/riversidebyelection/leaflets/
It's not an exhaustive guide to the topics candidates have raised in their literature, but it gives an indication of who's talking about what.

(I haven't seen any Green literature, hence nothing in that column)

I had hoped to get this online last week - sorry it's a bit last minute.

Wednesday 12 December 2007 1.27am
Thanks James

It's this attention to detail that proves this site is worth supporting!

Could you add another row to the table? - one that shows if the candidate lives in Riverside ward?
Wednesday 12 December 2007 9.52am
Only two candidates - Labour and UKIP - live in the ward.

Wednesday 12 December 2007 11.22am
Yep. Nice one Mr Hatts. I agree with my neighbour over the road, Mr BSB, that all locals want, obviously, is to get results on the issues we care about. The candidates know what some of those issues are because they make reference to them but only on a few occasions do they say "If elected I will do....." etc.

Knowing if candidates are locals is interesting but not necessarily a point in their favour especially if they have shown little commitment in the past to making improvements. Being in the crowd at a few residents meetings doesn't demonstrate leadership and commitment to me.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: