Hair salon in Walworth Road area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 16 November 2007 10.02am
Hi everyone.
Just moved into SE17 and I'm looking for a decent and affordable hair salon, nothing swish. Need a trim (and my roots) doing.

I did read down through other posts about this but they were from a couple of years ago now.

This is my first time posting and I'd just like to say this is a great forum: others are much less vibrant!
Jane.
Friday 16 November 2007 2.23pm
I don't know about affordable, i find all salons roughly the same price, but a good one is Cube in camberwell (by the swimming baths). I've been going there for about 3 yrs, they are quite trendy and do get terribly busy later in the week and weekends. For a cut and colour i pay around 75. I've also tried Head to Toe in se5, might be a bit cheaper than cube but not sure they are so up-to-date on styles etc.
The Works down the walworth rd are ok too i've heard, never been myself, just word of mouth. good luck!
Sunday 28 September 2014 11.38am
DON'T GO TO The Works, Hairdressers in Walworth (London SE17).
DON'T GO THERE. Had a haircut at The Works, Walworth with Tania.
I asked for about 1 inch off the bottom - what can go wrong with this I thought, my usual hairdresser was on maternity and it had been 4 months, I needed a haircut. My one length hair was cut much shorter (I didn't have any layers) but that wasn't the problem.
When the hairdresser finished I had a feeling like not having any hair, my hair left so light. My normal straight hair still looked straight but somehow thinner. While she was cutting my hair and nearly finished she asked do you use your hair in a high pony?, I replied sometimes. At the end she really quickly showed me the back of my hair and said 'nice and healthy'. I went home immediately, I felt like I didn't have any hair, as I put my hand through the ends of hair on the way home it was so thin. As soon as I got home I looked at the back. It was very thin. I then put my hair up - it was just an extremely thin straggly just a thin string of hair, my ponytail had been reduced to about a third. I was devastated. Worse was to come, as I washed what was left of my hair the next day, what was once my normal straight long hair had a rings of frizz starting from the top of the head at the back, the hair was so thin that it just curled up as there was no weight to it.
Looking closely at my hair showed from near the top right along the head, tiny hairs were cut at different lengths sticking up and the ends of these short hairs were very thin, causing them to curl up. My hair was terribly frizzy. The texture of my hair felt different.
I tried to comb my hair but the hair would just curl up again, I gave up.
I asked the salon what happened and I was told 'that is your natural hair', and 'hair changes', the hairdresser made me feel like I was going mad.
Hair may change according to diet, stress other factors etc.. but I didn't believe it happens that dramatically in a day, and I told her that.
Feeling increasingly low, I felt unable to go out, my hair was a thin straggly, what little I had left the texture felt just frizz. I couldn't face going out.
Hair was so thin in places that it would just break off.
Eventually my mum got me to see a Trichologist to figure out exactly what had happened, whether it was due to a vitamin deficiency or stress or a product used on my hair.
The Trichologist assessed my hair and found that it had been overly thinned, and damage had occurred to the hair. Inspection showed individual hair strands had been shredded exposing sections of the cortex - stripping and thinning the hair. Clearly the tool had not been used properly.
This was only consistent with the use of a razor, and not nature i.e. a razorcut. It had been applied to the entire head of hair.
I did not see any razor used on my hair but it was explained to me that that razors are often embedded in combs. I noticed she was combing and combing my hair, and at one point it really hurt, and when I tried to turn around to see what the hairdresser was doing, she quickly came to the side and trimmed the ends.
I didn't ask her to thin my hair. She didn't even discuss it with me. We agreed that she would cut about an inch off the end. I also did not want a different texture my hair.
The hairdresser must have known that the effect of what she did, with the tool that she used, was going to make my hair at least different, but she did not give me a choice, or spare me by just doing it to the ends so it could grow out quicker. Instead she used it all over the back of head starting close to the roots.
When I asked her what happened she lied, saying she only cut the ends off, telling me it was my natural hair and hair changes. She had an effort to hide what she was doing as when I tried to turn around she quickly came to the side to pretend to trim the ends.
I believe razor cuts can look great in the right hands, and they are normally done to the ends not all over. I did not ask for a razor cut, she did not have my permission to thin my hair, I don't understand why she did this to me and seemed to try to hide what she was doing, and then lied saying she only cut the ends off. It took a Tricologist to assess the damage that had occurred to my hair consistent with only a razor tool not nature, and I have the evidence on my head.
They are dishonest, use tools and products on your hair without permission and when they completely destroy your hair try to convince you that is your natural hair, and that you are mad, they then charge you 34 for destroying your confidence.
I have hair strands which fall out with a sharp zig-zag all the wall along from the razor. The damage to my hair has been colossal.
The Works hairdresser didn't just destroy my hair, she destroyed my self-confidence as a person, to the point there are days I can't even face going out or look in the mirror.
Monday 29 September 2014 9.58am
There is a hairdressers that has been there years, down westmoreland road 0207 703 2785, it has been recommended to me so will let you know when I have been. they are on holiday at the moment. looks a bit old fashioned. Never be taken in by the swish look of a salon, or smart staff running around offering barista coffee..no guarantee they are better!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: