New Build property faults

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 26 November 2007 8.36am
My daughter finally got the keys to her new little house ( shoe box size!) ..the house was naturally freezing..put central heating on..no joy it's broken..no circuit board..tried to close the living room door, no good wont close..only 2 doors actually close in the whole house..went around the house to make a list of ' minor tasks' to be rectified.
Heating man repairs the boiler, had to take the circuit board out of some one elses house..feeling a bit warmer they trot to fish and chip shop..stand outside in the freezing cold and guess what the door would not open! had to get in via the backdoor through unmade garden, it's good to eat your meal with your ankles smothered in mud!
All in all she has compiled a list of 85 faults, she paid a lot of money for floor tiles , they are all scuffed with marks from the door..
Her next door neighbour had paid a fortune for laminate flooring in his kitchen tried out the dishwasher and was flooded and also has loads of problems.
Has any one here experienced similar problems with new builds? in particular one particular builder thats sounds a lot like a burger chain!
Monday 26 November 2007 1.58pm
I don't live in one myself, but I was talking to someone who lived in that tower near Tabard Street - the really new one that kind of echoes the Tate when it's lit up at night (don't know who built it).

Anyway, it all looks very impressive and 'luxury, executive' from the outside. However, he told me that while he was happy to rent the flat for a couple of years, he would never, ever consider buying in that development as the flats weren't built to last. He said it was already starting to look a bit scruffy - and in five years' time would look very dilapidated.

I believe it's generally recognised that all the recent new builds - whoever they've been built by - have been thrown up at record pace and with little regard for quality, in a bid to profit from the recent record surges in property prices. (Experts have also predicted that these will be the worst-hit in the coming property crash.)

The reason developers have been able to get away with pushing such badly made yet overpriced property is that they're not built for owner occupiers, but for the buy-to-let brigade, who wouldn't live in them if you paid them.

I tell you, these luxury, executive flats are the slums of the future . . .
Monday 26 November 2007 8.06pm
as someone who bought in empire square all i can say is that its a great place to live, a nice mix of people and so far no sign at all of the dilapidation mentioned in the previous post.

furthermore statements such as "it's generally recognised that all the recent new builds ... have been thrown up at record pace and with little regard for quality" are just unsubstantiated generalisations.
Tuesday 27 November 2007 8.48am
Yes I think boroughpaul is right...it's not ALWAYS true, and depends on the developer. However, we all know that the developers work to margins, they are not going to put the best appliances, (all the hot water boilers in Metro Central Heights are starting to leak and flood the place now that they are JUST outside the guarantee period) and they are going to shave their costs wherever they can. But your list, Jan, is just disgraceful and should be reported to the appropriate authority. Who is the developer?
Tuesday 27 November 2007 11.47am
Wimpey..if I was clever enough I would list the 85 faults on here..and it's Chimes Green in Kent. She has given her list to the Site Office, I wonder what time limit they set on correcting faults like this? She paid extra Jackie for floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom and toilets. Lucky she never had enough money for the entire ground floor to be tiled..that would have been around four thousand's worth of scuffed flooring!
If it's not corrected in a reasonable time I personally will stand outside any site where they are building new houses and hold up placards stating my daughters house faults!
Tuesday 27 November 2007 2.33pm
I'm in Empire Square too and my block looks absolutely fine, can't speak for the tower though. Not expecting the standard to fall, the development won a Housing Design Award in the summer, an award intended to promote 'sustainability and excellence' in design:
http://www.designforhomes.org/hda/2007/complete/tabard.html
Zoe
Tuesday 27 November 2007 5.32pm
Poor her, it's hard enough moving without repairs worries.

I don't think you can generalise on new builds, but some are pretty rubbish. when you think how much money you spend buying one, I think you should be able to expect a high standard.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: