St Christopher's House

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 28 September 2003 8.10am
Has anyone else been enjoying watching the surpringly speedy demolition of this eye sore?

Much more interesting than fasting boxed fools.

David A
Sunday 28 September 2003 4.47pm
yes but sadly the replacement looks almost as bad
CS
Monday 29 September 2003 12.08pm
do you have a link to what the replacement looks like?
Monday 29 September 2003 12.28pm
Check out
http://www.touchlondon.com/touch/development.jsp?devid=1008

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 30 September 2003 2.31pm
The Standard says Bankside 123 will not be built until it is pre-let

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/business/articles/timid68403
bod
Tuesday 30 September 2003 4.30pm

sorry to be pedantic but i read the article as:

"But a 67.5m contract has been signed with Skanska UK, and the building will be completed in mid-2006 with or without tenants"

i bring this up because i think it would otherwise be seriously delayed. even swiss re are having trouble finding tenats for the gerkin.
Tuesday 30 September 2003 5.04pm
Most of the article is about Palestra (see this thread)

The bit about Bankside123 (aka St Christopher House) says:

"Nor is it shared by Land Securities, whose mixe duse development on nearby site Bankside123 will not be built until it is pre-let."

Post edited (30 Sep 03 18:05)

Tuesday 30 September 2003 5.14pm
If there is going to be a delay, with the St Christopher's House site being left vacant once it has been cleared, I do hope that something creative happens on at least part of the site in the meantime - perhaps a sculpture park run in association with the Tate?

Is there any news on whether a developer has bought the single storey industrial units immediately to the west of Holland Street?
Ideally, the layout of both sites should be considered together - not least for the impact on views from Hopton Street over the Almshouses.
Thursday 2 October 2003 5.59pm
It is fab - and speedy - being a big kid at heart I loved it while the dozers were still on the roof.

Mind you 'mixed use' now means mostly offices and some shops (Starbucks ) - I thought Southwark Council (in their wisdom) had designated this little bit of SE1 part of an 'Arts Quarter' - you know encouraging new theatre, music, galleries, perhaps a small cinema and plenty of low cost studio space.

Three quarters of a million square feet of offices and some shops sounds more like 'City Overspill' to me.

I know that S'wark don't want to put too many constraints on development in the north of the Borough, but a little bit of imagination and backbone when dealing with the developers would be nice.

Post edited (02 Oct 03 19:00)
Thursday 18 December 2003 5.33pm
From http://www.cityoffices.net
Quote:
Bovis Lend Lease is confirmed as having won the 150m, 76,000 sq m (818,000 sq ft) redevelopment of the 1960s St Christopher's House and Tabard House at Bankside, Southbank in London SE1. A start date is not yet confirmed. The Land Securities development is one of the few major new office schemes in London. The scheme is to be built in three phases on the site of St Christopher's House, the former home of the Highways Agency, behind the Tate Modern art gallery. A works programme is yet to be announced but it is understood that Land Securities is keen to get on site as quickly as possible. The scheme will take two years to complete, subject to finding suitable tenants. The scheme was designed by Allies & Morrison. - (17-12-2003)

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: