Scary, sinister helicopters

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Thursday 29 November 2007 12.05am
Anyone got any ideas about why we seem to get big, twin-bladed military-looking helicopters regularly hovering noisily over the Bankside/Waterloo area?

At about 6pm this evening there was a very sinister military helicopter doing circles over and over again and it was quite disconcerting. The conspiracy theorist in me makes me wonder if we're being deliberately intimidated into thinking there's some security threat!
jh
Thursday 29 November 2007 8.32am
No idea why it was there but it is very disturbing....not only from a security point of view but just the noise...the large double bladed helicopters make a huge din and the fact that it just seemed to hang around for ages is really annoying. Why are there so many helicopters flying over our area these days anyway?
Thursday 29 November 2007 9.17am
?London news last night: some teenagers stabbed near Tescos on OKR?

Surely it's OTT to have those HUGE helicopters. I thought they were just for remakes of Apocalypse Now.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 29 November 2007 10.40am
I think they are RAF Chinook helicopters; they fly over central London all the time. I guess they are mainly transporting senior military bods, Royal Family, etc? No idea what the one over SE1 was doing last night, I saw it too.
Thursday 29 November 2007 10.49am
I believe they were in the area due to the stabbings last night
Thursday 29 November 2007 11.43am
Jonathan K wrote:
I think they are RAF Chinook helicopters; they fly over central London all the time. I guess they are mainly transporting senior military bods, Royal Family, etc? No idea what the one over SE1 was doing last night, I saw it too.
Well, in that case, there were some VIPs doing several low circles over our flats for at least 10 minutes last night ;0)

Seriously, I'm "used" to the (small) police copters giving us the occasional buzz over. But last night was something else. I've only seen those sort of twin-rotor bloomin' big copters on war films, and it was quite a surprise to see one repeatedly circling our home.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 29 November 2007 12.19pm
What have you been up to Ivanhoe??

I actually saw it too though at around 6:30 going over the city
Thursday 29 November 2007 1.46pm
I dont think those big ones transport the royals

I dont think they do Police incidents (stabbing OKR)

They are military, so likely to be security of a minister or visitor from anohher government I would have thought

Maybe delivering a secret donation to Gordon's coffers
Thursday 29 November 2007 2.04pm
These guys fly regular sorties along the river but usually just pass by. Wouldn't have thought they'd be connected with the okr incident.

I've always liked the sound of the Chinooks I must say. There is another thread about 'choppers' here somewhere.
Thursday 29 November 2007 2.10pm
There always seem to be 2 in the air over parliament during the PM's question time, for obvious reasons.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: