PC Repair!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 1 December 2007 12.20pm
Hi, first time poster, just moved into the area (Old Kent Road).

I was wondering if anyone could recommended a PC repair shop? Ironically, one is about to move in underneath where I live but is yet to open and last night my PC went bang. (It wouldn't turn on - My friend switched the voltage to around 220 from 120 on the back - sparks flew and now it is dead).

If anyone has any advice, or can let me know of somewhere respectable in the area, would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Saturday 1 December 2007 1.21pm
The 120/240 switch on the power supply must always be at 240 when used in the UK.

Did the PC die before your friend moved the switch or after?

If it died after the switch was moved to 120, then you may have blown a fuse in the internal power supply. It is a simple and cheap matter to replace the fuse but, if you are not familiar with PC internals, leave well alone and unplug your PC from the mains right now!

This place does PC repairs, but I have never used them and cannot vouch for how good they are - give them a call.
Saturday 1 December 2007 3.17pm
Very iteresting that a PC repair place is about to open below you. Which part of OKR are you on? PC Stop on the Walworth Road is pretty OK or they may be ~Camberwell Road, not sure where it changes, anyway they're above Iceland.
Saturday 1 December 2007 4.22pm
Just past the Bricklayers Arms, Augustus Court? New apartments next to Lidl. Can't complain...

Thanks for the help.
Saturday 1 December 2007 6.19pm
Oh well you're REALLY close to E&C, so I'll be interested to know when your downstairs joint opens!
Tuesday 4 December 2007 10.21am
I fix pcs. if you were set at 110 on your psu, did you get it from america? I would not bother with any fuse changing, don't touch the psu, just change it. hopefully you won't have fried your motherboard or cpu (processor).
Tuesday 4 December 2007 1.38pm
My guess is you've blown the PSU, 110 is for the states and we are 220 here in the UK

PC repairs can be a bit off a rip off, you can get an ATX 300W PSU for 6 + postage from ebuyer

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: