Taxis on Waterloo Roundabout

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 29 September 2003 1.05pm
I use Waterloo roundabout every day to get to work on my bike.

Since the bus stops were put onto the roundabout, taxis have started using the roundabout as a taxi rank.

If you are coming up Waterloo Rd onto the roundabout, taxis coming from the bridge or Stanford St slow down right in front of you then pull over to pick up passengers. Then they pull out onto the roundabout to get onto the bridge. Its really stupid/dangerous (especially for cyclists).

Has anyone else had this problem - I've tried to raise it with the council but they have treated it as a parking problem!

Any ideas about how to stop it?

Monday 29 September 2003 1.12pm
I have noticed this while on the bus as well. As I recall it's a red route, therefore the police are responsible for it. I suggest contacting the local station and telling them of the danger and demand that they do something about it before anyone is hurt. Don't know how much good it would do but it's worth a go if you feel strongly about it.
Monday 29 September 2003 1.34pm
or maybe going on the Southwark Cyclists website and checking what they suggest in the way of effective lobbying
Monday 6 October 2003 1.14pm
It may also be worth mentioning it to the station authorities - I'm not sure if they'll be able to do anything, but it's definitely the commuters coming into the station every morning that use these taxis.

There's actually a little gap in the railings that allows the commuters to squeeze onto the roadside. Perhaps having that filled in would help deter them.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: