Strange smells

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 29 September 2003 1.37pm
Every now and then there is a strong chemical smell in the Bricklayers Arms area which is reminiscent of poppers, but without the associated light-headedness.

Anyone know where this comes from?

Monday 29 September 2003 1.52pm
There used to be a small facory near tower bridge road that had a weird coffee smell that wafted every where. There was also a paint varnishy smell near there that what a popper smells like?

Monday 29 September 2003 10.05pm
Tuesday 30 September 2003 1.56pm
Jan - possibly. Embarrassingly (or perhaps not), I know more about the smelal of poppers than I do the smell of varnish.

It's a sort of ester smell, for those chemists out there - like pear drops but a good bit more pungent and sickly. Could well be the same smell we are fererring to. Where does it come from?
Tuesday 30 September 2003 2.39pm
thats it King Campbell!

exactly...pear droppy.... chemically varnishy.....I think my education in some things is sadly lacking , just as well with my addictive personaility! :-)

Near Decima street off tower bridge road I could smell it more...when I walked through haddonhall to long lane..

Is it a secret POPPER factory!

Thursday 2 October 2003 9.19am
Maybe it is. In the absence of any other suggestions, I will have to assume that someone is surresptitiously manufacturing butyl nitrite!
Friday 3 October 2003 2.05pm
Thought it was anal nitrate..
Friday 3 October 2003 2.44pm
Well an awful lot of people need analysing sometimes!.... or so they say.... I always thoughts nitrate was something to do with organic gardening or farmers.......

interesting what?

Tuesday 7 October 2003 11.46am
People call it amyl nitrate which is wrong on 2 counts.

Firstly, it's nitrite, which is a bit different to nitrate (I think nitrite has one more atom of oxygen)
Secondly, amyl is a generic term covering methyl, butyl, proyl etc. Most poppers are the butyl version.
Tuesday 7 October 2003 11.52am
"proyl" should be "propyl"

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: