Temporary Disability transport

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 8 December 2007 2.18pm
My otherwise fit 83 year old Mum is in a wheelcahir as she has broken her ankle and temporarily living with me.She needs non essential transport for exhibtions/ shows and I am finding it hard to find any info. Does anyone know of any schemes or agencies that run cars/taxis (which we will pay for) that will take a wheelchair? My Mum wants to go to the carol service at Southwark Cathedral this Thursday and we are drawing a blank.
Thanks so much
Saturday 8 December 2007 8.09pm
I've no experience of this service, I've just seen lots of mini buses about:
Dial-a-Ride (South-East London)
Dial-a-Ride is a door-to-door local transport service for disabled people who are unable to use public transport. Fares are similar to local bus fares. For an application form call South-East London Dial-a-Ride on 01689 896333.
Monday 10 December 2007 7.53am
Kate if your Mum has a broken limb I would call Com Cab/extra? black taxis. Some of the drivers of the social service vehicles drive like lunatics and they are not always available at the times you need them. Plus the vehicles themselves are basically vans with a hoist and no suspension to speak of. Even hospital transport is no different.
I think if your Mum can transfer from the chair with help into the front seat of the car with the seat pushed right back she'd be better off. Express Cars are very good.
If she is with you permanently apply for the Taxi-Card Scheme, come to think of it if she lives in London she can apply anyway.
It's a very simple, phone for an application form, take it to her g.p. he signs it, return it to them with two passport type photos and voila problems over! apart from your poor Mums ankle..:-)
hope she gets better soon.
Monday 10 December 2007 10.06am
Have you tried Addison Lee? Expensive but reliable for a one-off. I find the local services pretty hopeless.
Monday 10 December 2007 10.56am
also, try calling Julie Timbrell at southwark council, Julie is the disabilities and pensioners worker there and may be able to suggest something. her number is 010 7525 0514

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: