Brandon House - Another tall building planned for SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 11 December 2007 10.17am
This week's Estates Gazette reports that Brandon House at 170-194 Borough High Street has been put up for sale and has been 'earmarked for a 23 storey residential tower.'

Nothing like a bit of earmarking to boost a sales price!!
Tuesday 11 December 2007 10.52am
Fantastic - Brandon House and the whole junction with Marshalsea Road/BHS/Great Dover Street is so very very ugly. Perhaps Saint George the Martyr could get some 106 money for a clean up....
Tuesday 11 December 2007 11.42am
What a shame that the new building is going to be so high and so close to the church..another bit of sky gone...
Tuesday 11 December 2007 8.37pm
JayBee - St Georges has just had a load of money for a clean-up! (and underpinning and various other works)

I agree about the junction though. It doesn't even work as a junction since the traffic people remodelled it.
Wednesday 12 December 2007 6.29am
its ugly as it is and so i'd get the demolition crew in today. 23 storeys isnt that tall either...
Wednesday 12 December 2007 8.21am
I am not clever enough to calculate 23 storeys about 250 foot plus? seems a bit high to me to be near little dorrits church...:-(
Wednesday 12 December 2007 10.52am
St George's has indeed had alot of money thrown at it and quite right too. However, it's outward appearance is much the same as it was and I think it's difficult to see where the money has gone.
Part of their funding came from the sale and demolition of the old Saint Michael's church on Lant Street. As part of the planning permission, the developers of the new apartments included a nursery on the ground floor and now - quelle suprise - they are now applying for a change of use to offices. So no nursery then. There was also some sharp practice around the height of the building which resulted in me losing my view of wonderful Saint Pauls - ho hum.
jh
Wednesday 12 December 2007 11.13am
I guess 23 will be the opening gambit....in the way these things are done nowadays. Developer 23...Southwark 12...result 16....the ways of the bazaar have arrived in local government planning offices. Although with the recent Barratt development so close by they may be ecncouraged to hold out for 23....and SC's hands would be pretty much tied I guess.
Wednesday 12 December 2007 12.05pm
and another thing, Jan - sadly there really is very little we can do to prevent the sky being nibbled away.
I'm saddder than a sad thing in Sadshire that my wonderful skyline has now lost the Telecom Tower, CentrePoint and Saint Pauls. If the Elizabeth House project goes ahead, I'll lose the London Eye and, depending on how high the new apart hotel is at Westminster Bridge, gone will be Big Ben (I just lost the Victoria Tower. At least I can see the sun set over the (hideous) Palestra. All I hope is, probably in vain, that the new buildings are of outstanding quality and, dare I say, beauty. Long live Zaha Hadid and Daniel Libeskind - and them wot are doing the Tate extension!
Wednesday 12 December 2007 1.37pm
I hope they find some archeology of incredible wealth and history and have to stop the dig for ten years during the demolishing of brandon hse.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: