Freeview signal SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 13 December 2007 9.57am
Hi all,

Has anyone else had complete loss to their terrestrial and digital freeview signals for the last 24 hours? We're in Lambeth North, and our neighbours are having the same problem (which satisfies me that it's not our box!)... is this an issue elsewhere in SE1?

Thursday 13 December 2007 10.06am
Our freeview signal is hit and miss, on some occasions we will only be able to get the BBC channels and on others it's only the Channel 4 channels etc, which gets very annoying.

If you live close to the rail lines then that may also interfere with your signal, as it does in our flat. Whenever trains go by we loose the sound and the picture blinks repeatedly.

I would very much doubt it's your actual freeview box though, much more likely the signal.

The Boss,
SE1 Relocation Ltd
Thursday 13 December 2007 10.24am
The whole of the London region gets its TV signal from the same mast (Crystal Palace) so it's unlikely that a very localised problem is transmitter-related.

There is no planned engineering work on the Crystal Palace transmitter shown here:

If there's a new tall(ish) building between you and Crystal Palace then that may affect your reception.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 13 December 2007 10.37am
Our signal is fairly unreliable too. ITV channels and 4 channels are usually the ones that don't work brilliantly. You can tell it's a loss of signal on the little channel information thing that pops up, but when this happens the picture and the sound freeze and pixellate. It's fairly annoying when you're trying to watch something!

Pretty much any passing vehicle also affects the signal - from mopeds to taxis.
Thursday 13 December 2007 10.38am
Hmmm. I don't think it's a tall building, as until yesterday we had perfect uninterrupted reception for 6 months, and now absolutely nothing, nada. So unless something sprung up overnight... No one else with this exact problem?

Thursday 13 December 2007 10.47am
Maybe it's your aerial - are you in flats? Freeview boxes still use the aerial don't they - ours does, anyway. If that's moved then signal can be lost.
Thursday 13 December 2007 11.05am
If you are in flats and share an aerial it will have an amp of some kind. Where I live' in a flat, our system is old and our amp doesn't work well with digital so we only get a few channels! Maybe then you're amp or wiring needs examining?
Thursday 13 December 2007 11.16am
Hi Hana

Firstly, check your aerial - the most likely cause of your problems.

Have a quick look at it - is it still horizontal? - if it's old it may have slipped after a fat bird landed on it! - don't laugh, it does happen. The aerial should be horizontal and not at a sharp angle up or down.

If the aerial is communal and your neighbours have the same problem as you, find the person responsible for it (Local Authority, your Housing Association or your Private Landlord) and get them to arrange an aerial check.

Freeview signals are more sensitive and degrade quicker than the "old" analogue signals because digital signals are currently broadcast at low power (this will change as switchover happens) to prevent interference with the existing analogue signals, and so a good aerial system is very important!

Finally you may like to consider using an aerial amplifier to boost your signal. I share a communal aerial and Freeview reception was poor so I purchased this aerial amplifier from Maplin, who have stores all over London..

Fitting is as easy as plugging the amplifier in (it has a standard 3 pin plug form factor) and rooting the aerial cable through - a 1 minute job.
Thursday 13 December 2007 11.26am
Thanks Boss St, that's very useful advice. We live in little ex-council houses, but I think the estate does have a shared signal, so that would probably explain it.

Thursday 13 December 2007 1.29pm
My Freeview signal is dreadfull - to a point of being unusable

The Managing agents have found some usefull clauses

They are only responsible for maintaining an Analogue signal to the flats
We cannot have Satelite dishes
They can supply access to a communal satelite dish - at a premium

Nice one! Thank heavens for Tiscali TV to keep the blighters in check

I do think that if we are to satisfy housing needs with more flats Government needs to improve planning, building regs and Leaseholder rights
to accomodate
- digiat tv
- eco friendly cars
- door collection of recycling
- improved heat insulation
- improved sound insulation
- energy usage - solar/heat exchange etc
- secure bike storage etc etc
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: