Obscenity at the Design Museum

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Michael Place Thursday 13 December 2007 3.53pm
At the shop in The Design Museum there is a bag on display to children and others which has an obscenity (which cannot be reproduced here) which says in large letters "******* RECYCLE".

Despite my objection it is still there, being viewed by visiting schoolgirls aged 9 or 10 (I have a photo)and others.

Please can someone do something about it?

mickmac

Advertisement

Jonathan K Thursday 13 December 2007 4.03pm
What did the manager say? You could inform the police about it, they do occasionally prosecute for that sort of thing... but I guess it may not be high up on their list of priorities.
carmenes82 Thursday 13 December 2007 4.26pm
It's art.
Ivanhoe Thursday 13 December 2007 4.30pm
Unless you put some sort of clue as to the word that you consider to be offensive, how can anyone else comment?

I can't think of one single swear word which would work in the phrase above (i.e. "[swear word] recycle"). I can think of plenty that would work if the second word was "recyclING")

[And I wonder if anyone's complained to the manager that there's someone going around in the shop taking pictures of 9 and 10 year old girls?]

...if you press it, they will come.
carmenes82 Thursday 13 December 2007 4.31pm
The swear word begins we f and ends with ing, I think.
Boss St Bloke Thursday 13 December 2007 4.31pm
An 7 letter "swear" word that should not be known by a 10 year old, sorry, I can't think of one.

I bet they know more words than me - darn it.
Ivanhoe Thursday 13 December 2007 4.35pm
Thanks carmenes. I see.

If that's the word, then I for one would be complaining to the shop....

....that the punctuation is terrible.

Surely it should read "F***ing RECYCLE!". Without the exclamation mark, it's just a meaningless combination of words. Like the sort of t-shirts you see in Japan that have a random combination of English words. With the excl. mark it's a command, an exhortation, which is surely what's intended?

Boss St Bloke Thursday 13 December 2007 4.37pm
Guys, take a chill pill

There is no way that "Fishing Recycle" is a swear phrase regardless of the semantics.
Ivanhoe Thursday 13 December 2007 4.56pm
No. "Fishing recycle" is a Japanese t-shirt.

cholmondeley Thursday 13 December 2007 4.59pm
On June 12 I wrote this to the Design Museum, but got no reply or acknowledgement although I wrote a follow-up:

"In your mostly excellent shop you are displaying a book called 'Hell Babies' cf http://tinyurl.com/yswlfh .

In my view this book obviously crosses the line into pedophilia. I don't want to get into a boring discussion about artistic freedom. Protecting our children trumps that. Personally I would have doubts about another book you are displaying called Gothic Lolita.

I ask you both to remove the book and reply to this email.

thanks"

The books continued to be displayed for some time.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions