Where to find magnets in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 13 December 2007 11.31pm
I think this ranks up there in the bizarre posts category...

Any idea where I can find magnets in SE1 (ideally)? I'm looking for smallish ones, black or silver, about 1 cm in diameter, and about 5 mm in thickness. Ideally round, but not required.

I checked online and in toy stores; I've checked with Robert Dyas and Maplins. (The latter do a package of 2 for around 5, but I'm looking for a box, of say 20 for the same price or less!)

I would have thought B&Q, a hobby / arts / crafts store, but no ideas pop to mind... Anyone?
Friday 14 December 2007 6.23am
Your best bet is probably www.modelshop.co.uk/
Friday 14 December 2007 7.37am
Not SE1, but IKEA sell something similar although larger diameter

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/86690610
Friday 14 December 2007 7.57am
do they still have Discovery Stores? the sort of scientific shops for children to purchase to broaden their minds!
Friday 14 December 2007 2.07pm
Try a stationery or office supplies shop. These are sold to be used in offices with metal furniture and partitions - there's a veritable cloud of them on the wall in front of me!
Friday 14 December 2007 2.56pm
Bluefish

Google the phrase "traction magnets" or the word 'neodymium'. Look at:

http://www.magnetukonline.com/materials.asp under the section 'holding magnets'.

Nothing weird at all, unless you happen to be building a particle accelerator in the bathtub.

REgards

Niall
Saturday 15 December 2007 9.27am
Amendment to my post: That is '4D' modelshop. It's in an arch near Tower Gateway. It's the model shop for all arts and crafts needs. Go on people take a trip and make a present this year.

Their magnets might be too small for your needs though.
Saturday 15 December 2007 12.20pm
All -

Thanks very much for the support and replies! Great ideas one and all...

~ Bluefish
Sunday 16 December 2007 9.03pm
Is it really possible to build a particle accelerator in the bathtub? Does it make for extra pouf-y bubbles? I'm intrigued! ; )

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: