Shad Thames - Is it really that nice?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 16 December 2007 4.13pm
Would appreciate advice. Looking at moving to the area and have been here a few times in the day and love how pretty it is etc.. But what are the practicalities of actually living here... Questions are: Do you feel safe as a woman walking home from London Bridge at night? Is it busy? If you have a car will it get broken into every 5 mins? Is it more or less Chavvy than the rest of London, are there scary kids on every street corner??

It seems like a mecca of heaven, more chilled and pretty than the west end but still great location - Is this really true or is it a big marketing spin?
Sunday 16 December 2007 5.29pm
No it's not marketing spin. We love it. It's great. Move in! SE1 is where it's at.
Sunday 16 December 2007 7.09pm
It's fab, but I prefer the character and community feel of Bermondsey St., which has a great range of bars and restaurants (non-chain) as well as an increasing range of local amenities. As Jackie says, SE1 is where it's at!
Sunday 16 December 2007 7.19pm
The walk from London Bridge is very safe (Tooley St exit, Hays Galleria or between the Hilton and M+S thru More, London, by City Hall - all lit videoed and patrolled - to Shad Thames.

On-street parking seems ok by London standards. There are occasional groups of scummy tweenagers from nearby council housing, but nothing approaching Clockwork Orange. The police ignor begging, which degrades the area around London Bridge and Tower Bridge.
Monday 17 December 2007 8.11am
What IS the policy about'll start another thread on this. But on the main matter, dont hesitate Ruthser to come and live around here...if you can afford it that is!
Monday 17 December 2007 8.19am
Apologies for contributing to the 'hi-jacking' of this thread but I agree about the begging around London Bridge and also the Thames Path from there to around the Millennium Bridge. There seems to be a lot more street begging around here than in other parts of central London. Even though they often block the already narrow pavements around the station it seems the authorities turn a blind eye to it.
Monday 17 December 2007 9.23am
Hey everyone - I think we can go a wee bit over the top on the begging issue (and the week before Christmas too!?) It's a London wide thing, and the beggars come where the tourists are, and believe it or not - where it is safe and they are not going to get beaten up - it is not ideal, but think why they come here: wouldn't you?

As for SE1 - well, I would not move anywhere else in London - it is quite simply fantastic and has improved over the past 8 years. A liveable, beuatiful, cultural microcosm of the best bits of London which even enjoys a sense of community - try and find that out west?! Shad Thames and Bermondsey Street great, but most of the postcode I love to be frank - its got it all!

The only mad things - sometimes feels like the restaurants and bars are a bit overrrun, and property prices are downright bonkers!! But hey, you can cook at home having brought meat and veg at East Street or Borough Market and you just don't move home. Happy Christmas!
Monday 17 December 2007 10.51am
Shad Thames is definitely a great area in which to live, you've got all the fantastic bars and restaurants down there and are really well connected with London Bridge station so close, the walk from which is certainly safer than other stations in London with it being well lit and under constant surveillance.

I would only reiterate the previous comments that SE1 itself is a fantastic place to live, certainly one of the best in central London. With Shad Thames, there are also some particularly nice properties on offer, predominantly the warehouse conversions but also some of the newer developments around that area.

The Boss,
SE1 Relocation Ltd
Monday 17 December 2007 1.11pm
I used to live in Shad Thames, never felt un-safe there or walking there from London Bridge station although admittedly I'm rather lazy and would cab it back after a certain hour.

Ido think it is however very overpriced for what it is.
Monday 17 December 2007 2.04pm
'overpriced' compared to what?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: