Kennedy's Sausages closing - new bar?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 16 December 2007 10.13pm
Kennedy's Sausages, which has 9 shops in South London, including Walworth Road and Camberwell is closing. The chain has been trading since 1877 - 130 years! As an Elephant and Castle resident it's sad to see a part of local history disappear, but it would be even sadder if the lovely old interior from my local Walworth shop is ripped out. The staff tell me that interior dates from the 1930s - they even have an old-fashioned wooden fridge!

If it were in Islington or Chelsea there would be a campaign to save it - even turning it into a cafe or a bar would be something - but I fear it's going to be lost and turned into yet another nail bar or something. Any ideas how to preserve it?
Monday 17 December 2007 8.00am
It would be sad if another bit of social history disappeared...Youngs grocer shop in tower bridge road had wonderful woodwork and a clock tiled floor...must dig out me photos of old Jack behind the counter!

I though there wopuld have been a department within southwark council that we could contact about this? trouble is when you phone now days all you seem to get is a call centre...bring back the old switchboard ops.who knew who did what...:-(
Monday 17 December 2007 9.40am
You could try to get it locally Listed (speak to Southwark council) or nationally (statutory) Listed.

Interiors that pre-date 1948 would be included within statutory protection.

See:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/upload/pdf/Commercial_Buildings.pdf

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.1379
Monday 17 December 2007 10.45am
With the amount of redevelopment going on in London, so many wonderful interiors from all architectural periods are being lost as people seem to be only interested in protecting and restoring the exterior of buildings. I cannot confess to having seen the interior of the shop on Walworth Road but will definitely have a look this evening.

Unfortunately, what new businesses fail to understand is that people want interiors that reflect a buildings exterior and its history, infact they will usually even pay more to enjoy that. Look at places like the Regency Café in Pimlico, which has a wonderful 1940's interior and is absolutely packed every breakfast and lunch time, it's not cheap either.

The Boss,
SE1 Relocation Ltd
E: oliver@se1relocation.com
W: http://www.se1relocation.com
Monday 17 December 2007 3.00pm
When is Kennedy's closing?
Tuesday 18 December 2007 11.28am
The shop on the Walworth Road will close on December 22. Reading through some of the many positive comments on the internet about the sausages, I am surprised that Kennedy's never looked to pursue a different strategy, what about a stall within Borough market.

Perhaps Walworth Road was just the wrong location for what is a great product, the fact that there are rumours the recipe will be sold to a supermarket suggest that there is a future for these products, it's just a shame it won't be under the Kennedy name.

The Boss,
SE1 Relocation Ltd
E: oliver@se1relocation.com
W: http://www.se1relocation.com
Tuesday 18 December 2007 12.45pm
I will shed no tears that a chain of butchers is closing, I try to support small independent shops & businesses, but never use butcher's shops. Lets face it, meat is dead, and the meat industry has long been dying, propped up by our taxes through DEFRA et al.
Next time you drop a styrofoam pack of steak into your trolley, spare a moment for the local trader.
Tuesday 18 December 2007 1.47pm
It may well be the fact that most of their customers appeared to be elderly, and when that's your niche unless you go out their for a different customer you can't help but lose custom over time. It's clearly a shop from a different era, with its pyramids of pease pudding.

At the same time I think it would be a brave business that goes down the premium route on Walworth Road - might not be quite ready for gentrification and at the moment it's only the ethnic butchers and grocers who will do really well.
Tuesday 18 December 2007 4.33pm
The meat I buy is generally dead. Taking home a live cow is difficult - it never goes in the lift....
Tuesday 18 December 2007 5.31pm
And that Jackie, is why we love reading your posts !!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: