Unitarian chapel portico Stamford Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 19 December 2007 5.22pm
Now that the scaffolding is down the full horror is revealed of the engulfing of the portico by a schizophrenic mishmash of building materials. If this doesn't make the 'blunders' pages of most of the architectural journals I'll crawl back under my stone. what does anyone else think?
Wednesday 19 December 2007 11.07pm
I haven't been past in daylight recently.

It did look a pretty medicore piece of design when I saw the original plans. Have the built it with the bright red brick cladding on the side walls that was in the original plans, or did Lambeth planners manage to get something a bit more subdued?
Thursday 20 December 2007 4.09pm
Yes, the sides are red brick as per that picture.

I overheard some people commenting on the incongruous juxtaposition as I walked down Stamford Street earlier.

Unfortunately they seemed to think that the portico was a tacky new addition to an existing block of flats!

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 24 December 2007 8.51pm
One good thing is at least it is still standing..
future generations can at least compare building styles!
Wednesday 15 April 2009 5.11pm
I think that the new block of flats is very attractive, the concave elevation echoes the curve of the Revenue building on the other side of Stamford Street really nicely. The dark colour is attractive and the detailing on the balconies is interesting and I think that the juxtaposition with the freshly-painted white chapel porch (which was a crumbling ruin before) is really striking. Of course it's not the bland pastiche architecture which finds favour these days; it dares to be modern. The real crime is that the flats were built on the playground of the naval school.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: