Bangalore Express

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 30 December 2007 8.05pm
Has anyone been to the new Bangalore Express ? The menu doesn't fill me with confidence - build your own curries (interestingly an Indian restaurant which did this featured on Gordon Ramsay's show a few weeks ago, and he was definitely NOT keen on it!), Indian style fish and chips and weirdly Calzone Pizzas!
Tuesday 1 January 2008 8.41pm
Surprisingly true to the spirit of Bangalore then!

On the basis of one day spent touring the Karnatakan capital from the vantage point of an auto-rickshaw, it did seem that locals with more money than sense [from the local technology boom] were willing to try the most bizarre fusions of any kinds of western dishes, leading to a succession of what my auto driver told me were mostly short-lived novely eateries.
Wednesday 2 January 2008 10.49am
We went on the opening night - quite unplanned and coincidentally. They're obviously going the Wagamama route, canteen seating and an uncomplicated menu. The menu is perhaps a little short, and yeah in general I don't approve of build-yer-own - the whole point of eating out is to have someone else make those decisions! However, for what it is, I thought the food was pretty decent. The meat was tender and the sauces were interesting and well executed. Definitely a step or two above "cheap and cheerful", and a change from somewhere like the Thames or Southbank Tandoori, which are good but very samey.

I'm not sure about those upstairs booths though, they're surely just asking for trouble...
Thursday 3 January 2008 12.44am
The restaurant is a good addition to waterloo road. The food is nice and clean. The staff seemed OK. I did wait a long time to order more drinks. I sat in one of the booths - luckily for me in a lower one - as I wouldn't really have felt safe in the upper seating ! I have seen this seating in a restaurant on the Kings ROad (though ccannot remember which one !!).

Overall, it was fine although there is scope for improvement. It is cheap and is aimed at people going for the Wagamama eats - indicated by the communal seating benches.

However, most of the ideas here have been done elsewhere and it is not a new thing. The only really inivative thing here is the simplicity of the menu - but it is too short - and the reasonable prices, although these add up as well !!
Friday 15 February 2008 8.34am
I went to Bangalore Express for dinner on Tuesday evening and was pretty impressed by the offering. I had the tandoori chicken to start with and tried my chances with the dreded do-it-yourself curries and was blown away by the quality of ingredients used, the tenderness of the meat and the delicacy of the flavour. I have never experienced this type of cooking for the prices being charged there. My wife had the fish calzone and was suitably impressed too.

Being a sticky beak, I managed to find out that the owners behind Bangalore Express also run The Painted Heron in Chelsea and that this is their east-meets-west mass market restaurant. Will definitely be back.
Friday 15 February 2008 8.50am
Dear ggreene,

Would you by any chance be the company secretary of Painted Heron Restaurants?

People who run local businesses are very welcome to take part in this forum, provided they are honest about their connection to businesses they write about and don't pretend to be a casual customer!

You may wish to familiarise yourself with the new Unfair Commercial Practices Directive which makes it illegal to post fake reviews of your own business:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/03/eu_flogging_ban/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 15 February 2008 11.22am
So is he also the ggreene that was company secretary of The Painted Heron in Kennington that went bust
roy
Friday 15 February 2008 7.32pm
Good spot James,
cheeky sod.
I went there with my other half - food was too spicy and over salted.
Ingredients were good and I would probably give them another chance - We usually go to the Southbank Tandoori which is a typical local indian - nothing special but they are very reliable and friendly.
Saturday 16 February 2008 12.04am
Excellent spot James!!

I did once go to the Kennington Painted Heron but it had no atmosphere at all !! The once in Chelsea is much better but then it their "flagship" restaurant!!

News on the grapevine is that the people behind Bangalore Express have sunk alot of money into the venture and want to open a few more outlets in prominent locations around London!! I also hear they want to do take-away from the Waterloo site - can't wait for the rubbish piles !!!! Actually, I heard that they want to do take aways in metal containers called tiffins - even more rubbish on the local streets!!!

If you want good indian food (and want to part with your hard earned money) go to Amaya or Benares do not bother with Bangalore Express -- that is unless you don't like the people you are going with !! HA HA.
Saturday 16 February 2008 9.59am
well thats one restaurant i definately WONT be going to. what a cheek, there must be something very bad about the food there if the owner has to resort to such fraudulant "advertising" to drum up business. well done James ...
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: