Getting sofa out of first floor window

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 31 December 2007 3.46pm
Hi,

I need to get a couple of sofas out of our flat. They won't go up the tight internal staircase, so they are going to have to go out of the first floor balcony. There's only one company that is allowed to drive their furniture lift onto the piazza beneath the balcony, and they charge 300 for three hours. Plus VAT, naturally.

Does anyone know of another way of getting them out, eg, how feasible do you think lowering them down on ropes would be, or does anyone know of a removals company who would undertake this sort of thing (that doesn't involve driving a truck with a crane on the back onto the piazza).

Incidentally, the sofas are in quite good condition and they were going to be picked up by the council for recycling, so if anyone feels they are capable of getting the sofas out of the window themselves, in exchange for the sofas, they are most welcome to them. Send me a private message if you'd like more info.
Monday 31 December 2007 3.53pm
I had the same problem. I used an axe and carried them out piece by piece. Good exercise, but you can't recycle them afterwards.
Monday 31 December 2007 4.16pm
I'm coming to the same conclusion. The sofas aren't worth much at all in terms of cost (ie, I couldn't sell them for more than a tenner or so), so if it costs 350 to get them out of the window, the most efficient thing to do would be to chop them into bits with a panel saw and then donate 340 to charity. Shame.
Monday 31 December 2007 4.29pm
I bet there is some Health and Safety law somewhere that would prevent you from attempting to lower furniture with a rope unless you were certified, the rope complied with some law and had been tested recently, etc, etc

If you decide to smash it up - make a party out of it to save the work load. Get some beers in, and some sledge hammers, and post the location/time here. I am sure a few of "the lads" will come around to help you drink the beer, smash up the sofa, bag it and help tidy up.
Monday 31 December 2007 5.28pm
Heh - that's a good idea! I'm sure I can find some people who will happily smash up a sofa in exchange for beers!
Zoe
Monday 31 December 2007 7.36pm
How did you get them in?
Tuesday 1 January 2008 10.21am
The previous owner of the flat got them in through the balcony several years ago when they were new.
Tuesday 1 January 2008 11.05am
Think of all the small change you'll find down the back when you demolishs it!
Wednesday 2 January 2008 8.00pm
hi it's Graham from www.bigvan.com,
call me & we'll arrange a viewing to sort this sofa business out-
I'm still trying to get over the new year holiday backlog, so please be patient.
Thanks
Graham N
Monday 7 January 2008 8.50pm
Incidentally, the quickest way to demolish a sofa (our sofa, at any rate) is to saw it into two (or thirds, if it's a three-seater), front-to-back. Remove any loose covers first, then using a pair of scissors, first cut the fabric where you are going to saw (the fabric is very hard to saw through). If there is any thin foam padding inside, tear it by hand. Next take a panel saw to it, and saw away until you've got three bits. Don't bother trying to use a pry-bar to split the sofa into bits, it's very hard work. Just chop it into bits.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: