New Year Fireworks

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 2 January 2008 9.20am
So - they were again fantastic on TV (and thank goodness we are now on the map as a City on New Year), but was anyone else in the position we and tens of thousands of others enjoyed (many who had travelled across the globe to be here!) of simply seeing smoke without fire - the view from the City side of Blackfriars of the London Eye was completely obliterated by smoke as the organisers insisted on setting the fireworks off low down on the river from speed boats etc rather than from the wheel itself meaning a a great fog soon ensued!

Now I have seen these fireworks before and know they are great if you are opposite the Eye, but does this issue not now mean we need several launching spots along the river as in the Millenium so that for many disapppointed people 1.3 million does not literally just "go up in smoke" on New Year 2009?

Ken - hope you are reading and Happy New Year.
Wednesday 2 January 2008 12.01pm
But it was a pretty orange coloured smoke;)
Wednesday 2 January 2008 7.39pm
The main source of the problem was low cloud cover meaning smoke was not carried away. The same was true for the so called 'River of Fire' which was a tad wide of the mark!

But agree that setting them off so low was not the brightest of ideas.
Wednesday 2 January 2008 11.17pm
I was stuck near the Waterloo roundabout, not being able to get any further because of the packed crowds on the roads, so I didn't even see the smoke! I think the idea of having several identical displays along the river is a great one. This would allow us to carry on having the spectacle on the river but with more adequate space for us all to enjoy it.
Thursday 3 January 2008 12.30pm
Given what it costs every council tax payer, it would be much better for all if more fireworks actually went higher and could be seen from further away. All I could see was a glow in the smoke.

I'm sure they used to go much higher - is there some new rule on the maximum height now?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: