Has anyone tried the new Waterloo Brasserie - good or bad?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 2 January 2008 12.01pm
It looks very nice and I wondered if anyone had tried it over the holidays.
Wednesday 2 January 2008 3.30pm
I visited the Waterloo Brasserie before Christmas and had an excellent meal there, going for the seared scallops with lentils from their evening menu, which was really good. There was a nice relaxed atmosphere in the place and although the service was slow, the staff appeared as being most professional.

This is a really smart addition to the Waterloo Road and will hopefully encourage other restaurants of a similar standard to come to this part of SE1. Being next to the Old Vic, I also had a look at their Theatre menu, which allows you to have your main meal and then return after the show for dessert, which I like the idea of.

The Boss,
SE1 Relocation Ltd
E: oliver@se1relocation.com
W: http://www.se1relocation.com
Wednesday 2 January 2008 3.55pm
I too went just before Christmas and found it a triumph of style over substance. The service was not as good as it should have been - friendly enough, but just not, well, good. The food was over priced, I felt.
We just don't seem to be able to get great service, fabulous food in a great looking place without paying through Le Nez.
jw
Wednesday 2 January 2008 9.28pm
Definitely a case of style over substance.

Waited for a table for ages, the waitress forgot to seat us till 10pm - then ordered a calad for 8 that was tiny

Staff were friendly though.
Wednesday 2 January 2008 10.22pm
reviews by forum users

don't forget this bit of this site where people have reviewed restaurants etc.

[i only mention it because mine is one of the two reviews of WB!]

cheers

ww
Thursday 3 January 2008 12.49am
I think the idea of the Waterloo Brasserie is great ! However, it is pricey and this is the one point that would make me think twice about eating here. I think the decor is spot on and absolutely fantastic. It is aimed at theatre goers and as such excludes alot of people. Having said that it is by far the best offering on the ever changing Waterloo Road and I would go back - but perhaps for special occasion only !
Thursday 3 January 2008 9.03am
The menu for the Waterloo Brasserie is so vast and varied that my gut instinct is that none of it is going to be fresh or freshly prepared - more likely frozen and reheated.

On that basis I wouldn't expect a great meal.
Thursday 3 January 2008 1.09pm
We went there soon after it opened. the staff were very helpful, the food OK, but the real problem is that it cannot decide whether it is a brasserie or a posh restaurant. At the front it is more like a brasserie, and the menu is certainly a brasserie menu, but towards the back it is all starched linen table-cloths. I think they would do better to be real brasserie. In and out for one course, or spend all afternoon over a croque monsieur and a bottle of vino. Forget the tablecloths.
Thursday 3 January 2008 1.41pm
I went just before Christmas & have already been back. Very stylish, good choice of food (a little more upmarket than regular brasserie I think) - I found staff very friendly, not the most efficient but I prefer that to efficient but miserable service. They've got a lovely prive room too.
mac
Monday 7 January 2008 9.39am
We went there on New Year's eve and had a really nice meal. It is definately a cut above other restaurants in the area and I didn't think it was too expensive. I had a mushroom and squash lasagne for 9.99 (it was rather too salty though). We ordered a chocolate mousse and it was a huge portion - easily enough for the 5 in our party. I will definately go again
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: