Faith in Bermondsey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Wednesday 2 January 2008 12.33pm
Hello,

I'm interested in hearing people's views about what part Christianity should play for life here in the Bermondsey community.

Carl Palmer (Minister of Haddon Hall Baptist Church)
Thursday 3 January 2008 8.52pm
None what so ever.

Organised religion, especially Christianity is merely a front for peddling homophobia and misogyny.

Keep Bermondsey Christianity free!
Thursday 3 January 2008 9.19pm
(if I were a betting man - I would bet that this thread is just about to become a rant fest of entrenched view points)
Thursday 3 January 2008 9.33pm
Oh God, I foresee drama here....
Thursday 3 January 2008 9.41pm
jeje75014 wrote:
Oh God, I foresee drama here....
Of Biblical proportions?
Thursday 3 January 2008 10.13pm
mickyBoy_se1 wrote:
Organised religion, especially Christianity is merely a front for peddling homophobia and misogyny.

Ever heard of the Gay & Lesbian Christian Movement or Revd Jeffrey John? Both have links with Southwark Cathedral.
Thursday 3 January 2008 10.38pm
Yes I have heard of them, and frankly I don't have much time for anyone who allows themselves to be treated as second class citizens by remaining part of a blatantly homophobic establishment. You might remember that Jeffrey John was refused promotion to bishop simply because he was gay.

Several senior clergy have gone on the record encouraging homophobic prejudice, and women are still treated as inferior within most Christian religions.
Thursday 3 January 2008 10.47pm
mickyBoy_se1 wrote:
None what so ever.

I'm probably as non-believing as they come, but was "none what so ever" not enough as a reply? I think this was a fairly honest and open question (at least I would hope to think so) and don't think it necessarily warranted a strong reply like this?

On the other side, maybe Carl's question would have been better if it would have read "what part could ..." instead of "should play", but hey, maybe we should cut the guy some slack? Live and let live and all that sort? After all, I guess he's asking out of curiosity and not necessarily because he's wanting to convert us all....
Thursday 3 January 2008 11.06pm
What is the connection between homosexual advocacy or religious promotion and SE1?
Thursday 3 January 2008 11.29pm
I guess one could argue that both occur in any community?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: