Road Surface Quality in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
jh
Monday 7 January 2008 12.04pm
Is it me or has the quality of road surfacing in the area taken a complete dive over the last few years?

I fully appreciate there are lots of works going on, notably Thames Water's belated numerous attempts at investment, and all the other utilies too, but it seems the roads are getting ever more dangerous.

The number of poorly surfaced roads, with pot holes springing up all over the place when tarmac is poorly used to fill in trench works is making it dangerous for everyone, from vehicle users down through to motorcycles and scooters and especially to cyclists.

At the beginning of last year when I complained to Southwark Council about Bermondsey Street they told me that the Thames Water works' meant it was poitnless doing anything about it. Is this an excuse they are using borough-wide?

Does anyone know what's going on....I'm sure the council will simply plead poverty. Something needs to be done before a serious accident happens.
Monday 7 January 2008 12.35pm
Bermondsey Street is a permanent building site so I doubt they'll spend taxpayer's money on endlessly repairing it. Anyway traffic goes too fast considering its width and the narrow pavements.

The noise to neighbours, and the effect on suspension are considerations I guess. I agree it's got a bit worse in some places though like around Tabard estate.

Main roads are TfL's responsibility of course!
Monday 7 January 2008 1.03pm
And this site gives you the contact details you need to report a pothole in your area, and the information to make a claim, if your car has been damaged.
Monday 7 January 2008 1.41pm
A few weeks before christmas there was some horrendous holes in new kent road, at least 5" inches deep. I phoned southwark council and after telling the call centre was told that they would send someone out on 9th january, after i said no way could it wait that long as someone would be dead by christmas having seen a motor cyclist have a near miss.

They then went to talk to someone else then i was told that southwark council did not deal with it, and gave me a number for TFL which I rang and they came within the hour and filled the holes with a temporary tarmac.

Why was i not told straight away it was not a road that southwark deals with.
The bricklayers roundabout does not look all that good either.
Monday 7 January 2008 2.30pm
On a related note, I have been wondering who to contact about a broken and dangerous manhole cover in the pavement outside my block of flats (not in SE1 bnut still in Southwark).

It would appear - from what it says on it - that it's associated with the power for the traffic lights a few yards further down the road. With this information does anybody know who I should call?
Monday 7 January 2008 2.36pm
Try these guys

"We can also remove obstructions or make safe any part of the road or footpath that is dangerous, e.g. missing manhole covers etc. "
Monday 7 January 2008 2.39pm
Thanks - that looks like the right place to start.
Zoe
Monday 7 January 2008 6.30pm
I'd been complaining for weeks about those holes on New Kent Road, well done for getting them fixed. There are still some on the actual flyover, can you have a go about them as well?
Tuesday 8 January 2008 12.04pm
Old Kent Road is mentioned in today's BBC travel news...

A2 London - Collapsed manhole on Old Kent Road southbound at the East Street junction in Bermondsey.

Last updated: 8th January 2008 at 11:07
Tuesday 8 January 2008 4.32pm
I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the water company's works has left very poorly surfaced roads - particularly noticeable when they replaced those square metal covers - when traffic goes over them they make such a loud clunking noise which is very annoying when trying to sleep - there is a VERY noisy one on the Borough High Street near Field & Sons.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: