WHY there is nothing to eat in SE1 late

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 11 January 2008 2.09am
I just don't understand. America has realised that someone can be hungry any time of day or night. Why haven't we? Especially in our capital city? SE1 being particularly bad for this. I live on Great Dover Street (you guessed it, I'm a student,) and I sleep whenever I'm tired. Why no one has thought to put a cheap eats open into the early morning across the street from 1300 students I will never understand. Once they can't sell booze, everywhere closes. Can someone shed some light on this for me (and bring me a large pepperoni feast while you're at it?)
Friday 11 January 2008 8.41am
no doubt a plug for such an establishment will follow this request....or have I just got too cyncial about this forum these days !
Friday 11 January 2008 9.35am
Most of the supermarkets and many of the convenience stores in SE1 are open 24 hr now. Although you'd have to go to the trouble of cooking the pizza yourself...
Friday 11 January 2008 11.14am
Selling hot food through the night requires a licence, which the council would be unwilling to grant to an outlet in a residential area due to potential noise, smells, litter and antisocial behaviour.

If you really need late night junk food, the McDonalds on Old Kent Road is open 24 hours.
Friday 11 January 2008 11.27am
Do you have a fridge?
Friday 11 January 2008 12.42pm
bartholomew street, pizza place just around corner from you. how late are you thinking?
Friday 11 January 2008 11.45pm
I'm sorry, were you ever in the US? or an American in Spain? Just back from Seattle myself, late dining 6.30. Valencia, nothing open, including tapas, before 9.30..

get real
Saturday 12 January 2008 1.09pm
diogenes3, no need to be rude. Mrritch was probably referring to NYC, but again, NYC is not America.
I was hanging around in Soho last night, and wanted to have dinner at 10pm. My friend and I tried 3 different restaurants that all turned us down, not because they were full, but because it was too late and the kitchen was soon to be closed. Sounds more like the province than a world class city to me.
Saturday 12 January 2008 8.16pm
Have lived 18 years in London and 13 in SE1. No question in my mind that the real and indeed only problem in this country when it comes to late dining, shopping and entertainment is BRITISH CULTURE. I had hoped - vainly - that the much-vaunted change in licensing laws would herald a belated transformation of London from provincial to genuine world city. But, alas, how wrong I was. People in the UK just aren't into late-night being out, simple as that. I write this comment from Tel-Aviv, one of the world's most all-night cities.
Monday 14 January 2008 7.44am
This area is mostly residential so don't really know where would be the best place for a student to eat in the early hours of the morning. with all those student why dont you ask your union to organise something internal. not knowing much about student life in halls of residence, do you not have access to a kitchen, fridge etc.?

As for 24 hour eating and drinking it's bad enough having the smell of food cooking from 5.30am bacon frying etc. from the cafe in our street 364 days a year! (especially in the summer when your windows are open.) Mind you they do a lovely bacon sandwich...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: