Motorcycle classes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 11 January 2008 2.38pm
Hi
Does anyone know of a good/reliable motorcycle school around SE1?
thanks
Friday 11 January 2008 4.04pm
Are you looking to do CBT, or DAS?

For the CBT, it's only a day, and I don't think it will matter much who you do it with.

The nearest is Metropolis at Kennington/Vauxhall. Handy for transport from SE1. I did CBT there, and Mrs I did CBT and (some) lessons before her test. We both had pretty positive experiences (although it's a fair bit of luck of the draw, as some of the instructors are more suited to my personality than others. I found some of them a bit cavalier, but others were great for me.) I wouldn't buy a bike from them, or take my bike there for servicing, but I'd do rider training there again.

There's also (?Elite?) in Wimbledon (they are in the car park of the dog track). I did some lessons there before my test, and wouldn't recommend them, as they specifically told me to do something which the examiner on my first test failed me for. And there's a training school whose name I don't know in East London (Nth of the Thames) somewhere. If I recall correctly, there's no one any nearer to SE1, unless they're quite new. I did a bit of looking around four or so years ago when I did my CBT.

I expect you know this already, but it will become MUCH harder to get your test after 2008 (new test regulations), so now is a great time to get it under your belt. I only have an auto license (so I can't ride geared bikes), but I'm seriously considering putting aside some time and money to do my geared test DAS before the new reg's come in just in case I ever want to ride a geared bike in the future.

Oh, and once you've passed your test or CBT, then I can't recommend highly enough that you spend another 30 and do a Bikesafe (google it) course run by the police and run out of two venues in London.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. We might end up with an SE1 biker gang ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
jw
Saturday 12 January 2008 7.28pm
Hi,

I have heard awful things about training at Metropolis from loads of people.

I did my bike test with advantage in Wimbledon who were friendly, patient and just brilliant.

http://www.thebikeschool.com/

Hope that helps
Monday 14 January 2008 6.53pm
Thanks so much for your replies and I will bear in mind the advises - a catsuit and a Ducati would be lovely!
Tuesday 15 January 2008 7.18am
A Motorcycling school cannot be worse than Metropolis in Vauxhall. I found the instructor to be patronising and sarcastic, clearly smelt of alcohol. Half way through the CBT class he decided he needed to be somewhere else.

When I complained the management didn't want to listen, wouldn't refund and made some ridiculous excuses about the instructor shouldn't be spending time with one student.

Not only did I find them thouroughly unprofessional but ultimately they can be a danger to people who want to learn about safe motorcycling. I wish I had read some of the other reviews of Metropolis before I chose them.

Be warned!!
Sunday 20 January 2008 10.54pm
Joe 2121
did you take your test with them or went somewhere else?
Monday 28 January 2008 11.28am
Clare, I haven't had time to re-arrange my test yet. I certainly would not go back to Metropolis.
Tuesday 29 January 2008 6.42pm
I noticed a new bike school across the river in Wapping - has anyone used it?
Tuesday 29 July 2008 5.02pm
Hi Clare

What did you do in the end? Did it work out for you? I am looking to do my CBT on a motorbike and then do the full road course...

Cheers!

Mike
Tuesday 29 July 2008 5.42pm
Great Pity Southwark stopped their motorbike training scheme..they even used to bother with details on the information board in Walworth road of road accidents...perhaps now it's 20 m.p.h. they think they don't have to bother!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: