Traffic Jams @ Waterloo every morning?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 4 February 2002 9.02am

Does Anyone know why there are hour long traffic jams around Waterloo/the Cut and the Bullring every morning for the last week or so? Something to do with Westminster bridge?
It has nightmarish repercussions on anyone trying to get across the river in the morning and I am considering counselling!
Monday 4 February 2002 7.39pm
Rosie,

I give up, get out and walk and then grab a bus by the bullring...

I have noticed that The Fire Station bar has decided 8.00 a.m. is a really good time to get their beer delivery and subsequently block off the bus lane.

What's the answer - earlier starts or envite Uncle Ken for a bus ride?

David
Tuesday 5 February 2002 11.25am

Well thank you David for that kind and civilised reply...goodness me I got quite an agressive response to my rather honest portrayal of Ken L yesterday...I was all of a fluster until at least midday...but I guess all this transport stuff is a bit of a hot baked potato...(with no butter but lots of baked beans).
Yes, deliveries do cause undue chaos don't they and all the 'thank you's" and 'Dyou mind's" that one has to do behind the wheel just to edge around things in and out of bus lanes is really very exhausting. Sometimes by the time I get to work I am all 'thank you'd out!"
Anyhoo...I wrecken its got something to do with the new one way system thingy around the roundabout that is at the bottom of Westminster Bridge? Some bright spark decided on a fantabulous new traffic scheme that would benefit 2 people and infuriate about 2000! ie. Everyone trying to cross any of the bridges.
I have indeed started my journey earlier, ALAS arriving at work now for 8.10am! Yawn....coz some days its better than others.
I shan't face public transport until the newsreports and bulletins on murders/muggings and car jacks in South London decrease to 2 daily only...as opposed to every five minutes. Put that in your green pipe and smoke it Ken L.
Gosh what a long reply...sorry to dither on..
Thank you for being well adjusted.
Rosie Posie
Tuesday 5 February 2002 4.44pm
Rosie,

You should try the lights at Tooley Street/London Bridge in the mornings. Not a good journey if your bus driver decides he doesn't want to play and refuses to let you off in between stops.

On another rant, it seems incredible to me that there is not one central office that controls or plans roadworks. John Mowlem Bloggs can come along and dig up any road he wants, and sod everyone else.

I want to start a campaign to demand that deliveries should be made before 7am and after 8pm on a work day. I bet we would see an improvement then.

Tizzy -don't you know what a red route means?-Dizzy.
Wednesday 6 February 2002 8.11am

Tizzy,

You are quite right to be so cross with the bus drivers at or around Tooley street...why DO they do that...refusing to let passengers off thing....something to do with power I wrecken (but don't say I said so)..

You are also extremely right to suggest dropping off times for deliveries. It would make everyone's life a little easier.

Thank you for your support....you can be sure of mine too...we are all fellow Londoners struggling with the difficulties in our respective journeys.

Have a nice day...least the sun has his hat on today!

Rosie
Monday 11 February 2002 10.59am
Easy! Three things:
The reconstruction of Waterloo underground station has caused a major increase in people crossing the road at the pedestrian crossing outside the underground entrance ( even when the lights are against them). This crossing is too close to the tarffic lights at the Cut so the traffic backs up to the Cut traffic lights, no one can turn left and right from the cut, so they block the junction etc. etc.

The closure of the road opposite the Old Vic means that those who used to avoid the road up to the roundabout by going straight on now have to join the throng above.

..and the closure of Tower bridge has moved traffic up river.

Even when Tower Bridge opens again it won't get much better, the other two are the main cause.

An another example of the planners not understanding the dynamics of traffic planning...or do they?
Monday 11 February 2002 11.51am

Thank you Tom Cheney

You are so RIGHT about the complexities around the Cut and that little back road (with the cutsie bakers on it)...being shut off to traffic now...
I have hedged and hinted at getting out of that Old Vic turning for over 20 minutes on some days. One has to be very agressive and regrettably I am a bit of a limpwristed wimp when it comes to jossling for position...

What you say may explain a few things..but in the last few days it has got better I hasten to add.
Interestingly I was making my way to the King's Road via the Albert Bridge yesterday (bit further up I know) but noticed that Vauxhaul Bridge has got major road works going on and I think this also has knock on effect down the south bank.

ARGHHHH!!!!
Why are they messing with our minds!!!!
Perhaps its a huge conspiracy to convince us that road travel is history now.

Of course London jams up if its full of shutdowns and roadworks...and my new traffic hate theme....one way systems....

Don't even get me going on what they are doing to Russell Square!

Exit Stage left
Ranting into the rain and minefields

Rosie
Monday 11 February 2002 12.15pm
I am not sure about conspiracy, it's too big a word for what's going on, but I am sure that the traffic planners in London are intent on making it more difficult in the short term for traffic to move around in order to justify the charges that they want to apply for entering 'the ring'. It will be a game of 'look at how bad it is, we have to have charges to free it all up'. I suggest that once charging is introduced, ( and the area just outside The Ring is one big car park for people from out of London), they will produce some initiatives that will free up the traffic. They will then claim it all as a major success. The next game will then to extend charges for parking on the road in areas outside the ring. That will produce extra revenue for the various councils. That will then cause an upsurge in paying car parks, probably on every piece of unoccupied ground there is. I believe that those of us who live in inner London will be the sole losers in this scheme, but no one seems too bothered.

On the subject of dozy decisions and unneccesary expediture: can one of the bright planners involved tell me why they have spent money constricting Tottenham Court Road outside Heals? It seems a pointless excecise other than to cause congestion.
Monday 11 February 2002 1.24pm

Why, wot's going on outside Heals I haven't noticed anything..isn't there a filter round to the right around the edge of Habitat going down to the University. Or the option of going straight ahead past Warren Street to the Euston road?

Or have I missed something major?
Do tell as I may have to avoid this area too now...

Grrrrr......

Do you suppose Town planners wear jesus sandals?
(Please forgive me Lord I am not bashing you, just the sandals and the town planners).

Rosie
Monday 11 February 2002 2.00pm
You can't turn right at Heals any more (for sometime now in fact...) and, as I said, there is a strange pavement configuration constricting traffic at the junction.

On the subject of sandels, I hope so. That way when its raining they will get wet feet walking from London Bridge to South Bermondsey on a Saturday night when the last train has gone around midnight - and if anyone says 'use the bus' then they have obviously never had to use the bus...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: