Laptop repairs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 18 January 2008 1.37pm
Can anyone recommend a local laptop repair shop or person?

My trusty laptop seems to have a broken circuit board.
Friday 18 January 2008 1.58pm
BCS London Laptops, corner of Tanner St and Jamaica Rd.
Friday 18 January 2008 2.39pm
Can you give any more info? What do you mean by a 'broken circuit board'? I could then maybe give you some advice. I also do basic repairs myself.
Friday 18 January 2008 2.45pm
It's a Toshiba laptop, a few years old. Some one pressed on the power button a bit too hard and it's now sunk into the hole. I can switch it on but it goes off after a few seconds. It could just be a problem with the power board, but I don't have the tools to fix it.
Monday 21 January 2008 8.14am
Did you sort out the problem and if so what was it?
I can't see how you could press the power button 'too hard'. Does the problem occur with battery power and AC Power Source? What does the Access Panel Power Gauge show?
I have found Toshiba to be amazingly reliable over the years.
I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro bought in NY in 1999 and still working perfectly.
I now use a Toshiba Tecra also bought in NY which has never had even a minor glitch.
I was looking at the Toshiba Equium A200-1VO in the sales as an update.
I like the way Toshiba's come with the Reconfigure System Software CD which you can run to format and Restore Factory Settings every now and again to clear out all the rubbish that accumulates on the Hard Drive and make it good as new.
Monday 21 January 2008 9.45am
The laptop power button was pressed so hard that the board, on which is sits inside the laptop's shell, has broken. I had some builders in last week and I think one of them dropped something on it.

I'm going to have to take it a laptop repair place and was hoping some one had a recommendation in the area. I'll give the BCS London Laptops shop a try.

I don't have this Reconfigure System Software CD. Do you know if this software can be downloaded from somewhere?

One problem I have with the laptop was the hotkeys. For no reason the F11 function would engage and my typing would start to maximize or minimize the browser window. In fact, I wanted to disable the hotkeys altogether, but could figure out how.

If you know any more about this, feel free to PM me.

Thanks
Monday 21 January 2008 10.27am
Sorry for the late response -there is also a computer repair shop called Computer Alliance at the top end of Old Kent Road, opposite the junction with Mandela Way. Also PC World further down the OKR do repairs. Not dealt with either of them though.

It sounds like you may have broken the motherboard (the board which all the components attach to). If that is the case, to buy a new motherboard and get it fixed isn't going to be cheap. Its probably best taking the laptop in somewhere so they can give you an estimate of the cost, and then you can decide whether it's worth it or not. I'm guessing that your hard drive is ok - if it is you should recover any data from it before you give it to any repair shop.
Zoe
Friday 25 January 2008 9.00pm
Did you go to BCS London? I need to get some extra RAM, as I've loaded Vista, it's now going very slow, and I can't reset it back to XP. I'm being driven mad by it.
Friday 25 January 2008 10.41pm
Zoe wrote:
Did you go to BCS London? I need to get some extra RAM, as I've loaded Vista, it's now going very slow, and I can't reset it back to XP. I'm being driven mad by it.

It's quite straightforward to fit extra RAM into your laptop. Usually just a couple of screws to undo then snapping it in. Check here to see what is compatible with your laptop.
Zoe
Saturday 26 January 2008 9.28am
Thanks for the link, I've had a look and it's really cheap. I'm slightly concerned about doing it myself, but I'll have a go.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: