35 Burglaries a day in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 8 October 2003 9.06am
I got home from work on Monday to find I had been burgled...

Southwark police came round to do the fingerprinting (no joy - the thieves had been wearing gloves)

Was informed that there are 35 burglaries a day in Southwark - so just wanted to warn forum members to be vigilant about your security.

Also, if anyone comes across anyone trying to "fence" a blue Macintosh ibook laptop with DVD player (without mouse, USB port or power cable) - can you please let me know...

Curly
Jai
Thursday 9 October 2003 12.21pm
sorry to hear that. What security did you have... and how did they get in ?

Varkenslachter
Thursday 9 October 2003 1.21pm
Got in through the kitchen window

The alarm went off as soon as they got in as the alarm sensor points straight at that window (which is why they only had time to nick my laptop). Left back through the window as I have 3 locks on my front door (one of which they would've need a key to let themselves out).

It was broad daylight, and the windows face onto a busy courtyard which is overlooked by about 80 other flats.

Am going to be investing in a security cable to attach the next laptop to a nearby radiator, and have a firm coming round to install a safe for important documents.

The police reckon that the memory on the laptop will be wiped clean before it is fenced, but I can't stop worrying about "theft of identity" issues, so the next piece of kit is also going to have an encryption facility for documents.

Curly
Thursday 9 October 2003 3.08pm
...if you're looking to encrypt the data on a laptop you're fairly secure if you use the standard Windows encryption (know as the Encrypted File System), or alternatively you can have encryption enabled on the hard disk - if they don't know the password they can't even boot the computer (BTW this is not just the power-on passwords that some people use, it actually prevents the data being read from the hard disk even if connected to another computer).

The EFS suggestion will work only on Windows based computers (Win 2000 or later), but the hard disk encryption should work on all new laptops, even if they're Macs.
Thursday 9 October 2003 3.54pm
Thanks Craig!

Have been on to Apple Support and despite initially telling me hard disk encryption is not available, when pushed, they did have another think about it, and have emailed me instructions - so thanks very much for your help!

Curly
Thursday 9 October 2003 4.19pm
Sorry to hear about the burglary.
I was burgled 2 years ago -they took every electronic item i had incl laptop.

Speaking as someone who is NOT a computer whizz, how do I do this encryption thing so my laptop is safe?? I have lots of very sensitive work stuff on it.

I Have a sony laptop with Windows XP

Cheers

Post edited (10 Oct 03 11:44)
Jai
Friday 10 October 2003 7.02am
ehmmm... had another bicycle stolen last night

Varkenslachter
Friday 10 October 2003 10.51am
Hey jc jc - have you tried contacting Sony re the hard disk encryption? I suspect the email I was sent by Apple may be different for your Sony kit - Craig appears to be quite a techie though...

Jai - sorry to hear about the bike.

Curly
Friday 10 October 2003 11.54am
OK... here we go....

To use the Windows based encryption within XP you first need to check whether your hard disk has been formatted in NTFS format (EFS can only be used with NTFS format hard drives). To check this you need to open Windows Explorer, right click on the icon of the hard disk that you on which your data is stored, usually labelled as "Local Disk (C:)" or "Local Disk (D:)", then click on the "Properties" option at the very bottom. This brings up the information about the physical hard disk (with a little pie chart showing you how much disk space you have left). One of the items displayed in this is labelled "File System:" - more that likely it will say either FAT32 or NTFS. If it says FAT32 you can change the format of the drive to NTFS, but I wouldn't really recommend doing it as it can cause problems, but the Windows Encrypted File System will only work with NTFS format drives. If your drive is NTFS format you're in business.

You need to right click the folder that contains the data that you want to encrypt, select the properties option, and then, in the resulting Window you need to select the "Advanced" option. This then gives you a box with the advanced options for the folder that you want to encrypt. You then need to tick the box labelled "Encrypt contents to secure data", then click the "OK" button and the advanced properties window will close, leaving the folder properties window still open. In the folder properties window you need to click the "Apply" button and you will get a confirmation screen on which you need to select the "Apply changes to this folder, sub-folders, and files" option, then click the "OK" button. The confirmation window closes, and you get some activity on the screen (nice Microsoft graphics showing a file being encrypted), and you are then left with the folder properties window which you can close by clicking the "OK" button. You will now see your encrypted folder, and all files contained therein, in green, rather than the usual black, in Windows Explorer.

All files, and folders, contained within the folder that you have selected to encrypt will be shown in green.

Here's the caveat with this method of encryption - there are no passwords required for it, it's all based on your Windows user profile, ie when you log into the computer. If you start your PC and it automatically goes into Windows without you needing to log in this encryption will not really work as anyone who turns the computer on will be able to access your encrypted data. If you need to log in to your computer you will find that although other users of the computer will be able to see your files and folders they won't be able to access or copy them. If you use the EFS option you need to be quite careful with your computer, you may forget that you encrypted the data (because access to it is seamless and no passwords constantly remind you that it's encrypted) and when your computer crashes and you need to reinstall Windows you will find that, as your Windows profile has been deleted, you can no longer access your data as it can only be access using the profile that was initially used to encrypt the data.

There are other options to encrypt your data dependant on how secure you want it, and how much hassle you want to go through to access the data. With the exception of the hard disk based encryption that I mentioned before the general rule is the more secure you want the data to be the more hassle you need to go through to access and change your files.

The hard disk based encryption is a very good option, but again, it will only work if you want to secure your data from unauthorised users of the computer (no password, no way to start the computer), but if you want to secure it from other users on your computer then you need to look at another alternative - I can give you some suggestions if you need them.

(I have quite a good grip of this sort of thing as I pay the mortgage by investigating data stored on computers and identifying what people have been doing on them and then give evidence in court about it - usually corporate fraud and that sort of thing - technically it's known as "computer forensics". One of the things that we have to do very regularly is to decrypt data that has been encrypted by users - passwords are not as strong as you imagine!!)
Sunday 12 October 2003 8.21pm
thanks v much for that Craig
will investigate!
jc

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: