Genuine mistakes at SE1 Post Office?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 21 January 2008 7.53pm
I find the staff at the Post Office in the (is it a Co-op? A Spar?) on Westminster Bridge Road friendly and that the queue moves fast.
However, the first time I used it I was charged for an item I didn't buy (and didn't receive) and last week I was told that the price for a postcard to Oz was the same as sending one to mainland Europe - 54p - and, accordingly, was sold stamps to this value for both destinations.
Checking with two other Post Offices, I find that the price to mainland Europe is 48p.
The fact I have been overcharged twice (usually I am unable to check if the price quoted is correct) in 8 visits is puting me off going there again.
Has anyone else had this problem at the Post Office part of this store?
Tuesday 22 January 2008 2.42pm
I often find post offices overcharge - I was in one in Plumstead and they told an elderly gent after me that Special Delivery was the only signed-for service when Recorded is cheaper and also signed-for, and they tried to charge mine as a packet rather than a large letter. London Bridge recently tried to say a DVD I was posting was a packet not a large letter. They are all out to grab your pennies.
Wednesday 23 January 2008 7.52pm
I'm with you on WBR post office in the Spar, though I wouldn't put it down to bad intenttions but to incompetence - sometimes they refuse to sell stamps if the "post office" counter is closed, even though they have booklets in the tills. Then they think they're doing YOU a favour.
Monday 28 January 2008 12.18pm
I too have had problems with this Post Office, Although some of the mistakes have been with Post Office in general and not the sole problem of this branch.

Last November I popped in to pick up a package that had been redirected to the Post Office. The item was not there and they asked whether I had requested the redelivery via the internet or by phone. I told them it was by the internet and they all but laughed at me, telling me that I shouldn't have done it like that - so why did the Post Office web site and card tell me to? They told me to call the Royal Mail directly to request the redelivery. After several days attempting to get through to them I finally managed and went in to the Spar Post Office to collect it. It was not there. I came back a couple of times every week for a month and there was still no sign of it. So I asked for a complaint form and was at first refused one! Eventually they agreed and handed the form over, nice attitude guys! BTW There is still no sign of my package
Monday 28 January 2008 2.36pm
I have used WBR for several years now and have had no problems. As all the prices are computerised which is also linked to the scales, if there is a problem this could either be a computer glitch where prices have been programmed incorrectly - or 'fastest finger first' when the wrong 'button' has been hit. They have always been helpful with odd packages to odd destinations - as one gets when trading on eBay...
Friday 21 January 2011 10.21am
I am more suspicious of the mistakes I have seen at the Post Offices at Southwark Bridge Road and particularly Great Dover Street. Have started new thread about the latter.
Friday 21 January 2011 3.42pm
I too have had many mistakes at the Costcutter SBR
and both pleasent and arrogant service. As there is only two 'windows' serving and usually only one open, I find you have to budget half an -hour to forty mins for a transaction. I am not sugesting the person serving is not working hard, but it-Costcutter kind of replaced Borough High Street PO where in the hey -day there would be 6 plus people serving and there were still delays. I have seen many complaints re overcharging at SBR and waiting times. Also staff not knowing how to process some forms etc. I have also seen postmen/collections men having arguements with staff re not folllowing procedure re parcels and reg post etc.
I put in several complaints to The Post Office re a few incidents plus the disgraceful service in SE1 (as in a different thread) I only had one reply ever disrespecting everything I said and the usuual defensive not commital corporate nonsense.
I am at the moment fashioning a complaint to the CEO of the post-office. I have poted his address in the current 'post thread' on the forum if anyone wants it.
Friday 21 January 2011 5.08pm
I have formally complained today about the mis-selling at GDS. I have advised they send a secret shopper in, but I imagine they won't, and staff will deny it all.
Monday 24 January 2011 11.31am
I'm also really surprised about complaints re WBR post office. Have used them for years and find them way way more pleasant than any other PO and have never had any problems.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: