Wicked (part 4)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9
Wednesday 8 October 2003 10.01pm
From Thursday's Financial Times:

Quote:
Southwark cathedral, home to gay would-be bishop Jeffrey John, has another fight on its hands. Next week Southwark council will decide whether to grant what is believed to be Britain's first licence to allow sexual acts to be performed in public - at a club yards from the cathedral gates.
The south London authority is eager to approve the application by Wicked, a sado-masochist gay club run by Brian Sheridan, a former police inspector, under new legislation. The cathedral's dean, Colin Slee, is equally eager to see it turned down.

Having revived the Shakespearean name of Bankside, the Liberal Democratic regime seems to want to revive its nefarious reputation as home to theatres, cock pits and prostitutes. If successful, Wicked will double in size to accommodate package tours from across Europe.

Such is the opposition that the licensing committee will sit for four days. Many regular members cannot give up the time and Observer hears pliable, broad-minded stand-ins are being recruited.

The Church has one unlikely ally, however. Committee chairman Abdur-Rahman Olayiwola, a lawyer, has let it be known he is not a fan of Wicked: he's a devout Muslim.

Post edited (08 Oct 03 23:04)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 9 October 2003 8.37am
Southwark council's Licensing Committee are due to hear the applications at 10am on Monday October 13th at Peckham Town Hall. Tuesday October 14th, Thursday October 16th and Monday October 20th have also been reserved to hear the application if required.

The meetings are open to the public, though once again, at the last momment, Sheridan has applied for an adjournment.

Further details:- http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_4919.pdf

editted to add Southwark Council link

Post edited (09 Oct 03 11:20)
Friday 10 October 2003 7.51am
James I'm a bit puzzled...in the quote from Thursdays Financial Times....Sexual Acts in public? unless a gathering of people behind closed doors constitute 'public'....

If the council grant permission for this , will the next step be legalised brothels? the council could not refuse on moralistic grounds could they?

I was surprised to read that should it be successful that it will double it's size ( Wicked I mean!) and it undoubtably will, the owners plan package tours from Europe. How big is this venue anyway?

It's certainly seems to be harking back to the Bishop of Winchesters time....a few 'Geese' in a 'Stew'..I suppose it's in keeping with old traditions!

jan
Friday 10 October 2003 8.36am
What's wrong with people having non-mainstream (but, I assume, still legal) sex, indoors and out of the way?

Do people object? It seems from the piece above that there are lots of protesters. My immediate reaction is that it isn't such a big deal for consenting adults. I'm sure there are odder things going on behind other closed doors in SE1. It's just that these people are being open about what they want to do.

I don't know how these sort of things happen, but would it be any different if they ran a club where all tickets must be bought in advance, and all participants validated their age and willingness?

I'd be interested to hear everyone's views (not least because I'm not sure what my own are. My overwhelming feeling is that it probably shouldn't be anyone else's business as long as it's kept safe and private amongst "members"
Friday 10 October 2003 9.18am
Ivanhoe, I'm with you on this - each to his own..did my post imply that I did not approve? I hope not..:-)

jan
Friday 10 October 2003 10.39am
wasn't sure Jan - didn't think it was disapproving.

I am genuinely interested to find out what the other forum-ers' views are though (not least, as I say above, because I'm not sure what my views are or whether they're thought out enough)

Can't we have a poll James??
Friday 10 October 2003 10.47am
Ivanhoe - have you read through the threads Wicked 1 - 3?
Friday 10 October 2003 10.50am
no - sorry if it's all been done before. I'm relatively new to the board. Might have a trawl back. (and please feel free to call me Ivan - after all, it's not my real name)

.....walking down the road
Friday 10 October 2003 10.51am
Hmmm, something tells me Ivanhoe hasn't read 'em!
Happy reading...
Friday 10 October 2003 11.01am
Ha ha - you're in for a real treat!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 1 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: