Beans in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 25 January 2008 9.02am
I got a beans & pulses cookbook for xmas on account that my new years resolution was to eat more of these. I'm doing a dish tonight, got all the ingredients i need apart from broad beans for the starter. Does anyone know anywhere within a 15 min walk of guy's hospital i can get some (tinned or dried)? I don't recall seeing any stall's at borough market that sell baens?
Friday 25 January 2008 9.20am
It's not broad bean season. Best bet is maybe to try to find frozen ones.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 25 January 2008 9.30am
You'll find broad beans in BM - when they are in season. As far as I known they are not being flown in from Kenya or Peru, thank goodness.
Friday 25 January 2008 9.55am
I thought that might be the reason. Don't suppose anyone knows an alternative bean i could use that's similar to braod beans? It's for a dip, can i use any other bean??
Friday 25 January 2008 10.10am
You could try substituting peas - just thinking of the colour and texture really. Or perhaps fresh borlotti beans, although they're more the colour of ointment so might look a bit funny. Plus you probably can't buy them. Frozen broad beans should be okay though, they probably sell them in Tesco at the Elephant.
Friday 25 January 2008 10.24am
I'll have a look, if not i'll just have to buy a dip for now. Cheers.
Friday 25 January 2008 10.30am
It's not quite within the 15 minutes' walk, but Baldwins healthfoods on Walworth road has a great supply of canned and dried beans. There's also a small healthfood and juice stall within the market - near Brindisa?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: