How effective is soundproofing?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Sunday 27 January 2008 1.58pm
How effective is soundproofing?

I am constantly bothered by both impact and airborne noise form the flat above.

Has anyone had there ceiling soundproofed? If so, did it significantly reduce the problem or did you have to get the walls done as well?.

Please no adverts, I've read enough; just looking for real case studies.

Thanks
Sunday 27 January 2008 3.28pm
Sorry. I can't hear you.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 27 January 2008 4.16pm
I'm not sure, but check the terms of your lease - are the people upstairs allowed wooden floors (if they have them)? Wooden floors are terrible for transferring noise and often aren't allowed in flats.
Monday 28 January 2008 12.13am
Are you in a period building or a new build? I think regulations were introduced a few years ago for new developments and if they are not adequate you might be able to get it checked out under the terms of your NHBC cover if it's a new build.
Monday 28 January 2008 10.08am
Judging from the situation you describe, I'd infer that you're likely to be living in a period building, where this kind of issue is quite common.

It is more effective, by and large, for the soundproofing to go in the cavity under your neighbours' floor than for you to create an extra barrier in your home by fitting a layer of sound-deadening material. However, the latter is obviously easier to do, because it's typically very difficult to persuade an upstairs neighbour to let you conduct building work in their home.

In terms of creating an extra layer of insulation in your own home, you'll need to have the ceiling lowered and you can then fill the artifical cavity with a material such as Rockwool. This can be quite effective, but is an expensive thing to do, and you will obviously lose some ceiling height, which may be undesirable.
Monday 28 January 2008 11.00am
No one has answered the basic question though: Is it effective? I was planning on doing this some time ago being in a flat with tastefully varnished floors and for the sake of my neighbours.

Alas, I couldn't justify the cost without knowing the effects so ended up just putting a heavy carpet down,bit of a shame really. I imagine proofing helps but if your neighbour spends their time walking around their flat in stilletoes probably still problematic.

Filling the space between the floor is the most effective option as it acts as a sound resonator (think of an acoustic guitar).
Monday 28 January 2008 12.20pm
The reason the question can't be answered readily is that soundproofing's effectiveness is (a) to some degree a matter of perception, because different people have different acoustic sensitivies and (b) variable according to other acoustic factors.
Monday 28 January 2008 12.59pm
But it is potentially highly effective, I should add, having had a ceiling soundproofed before.
Monday 28 January 2008 7.18pm
Thanks

The block was built in the 1960's.

The floors are solid probably concrete.
Monday 28 January 2008 11.25pm
Hmm, surprised you're having problems with a concrete floor above you.

And yes Longlaner I agree, perception is all.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: