Where is our Congestion Charge Resident's Discount Zone - the West has one....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 31 January 2008 10.50am
I have just been perusing the Congestion Zone Charging Map and noticed that the West Extension has a big thick pink 'Resident's discount zone' along its boundry whereas the original East section has no such thing. If there was a similarly generous 'Resident's discount zone' applied East then many of us in SE1 would benefit [in terms of being penalised less to move around our community]

Congestion Zone Charging Map

If we must have the [fill in word of choice here]charge then there could at least be a faint attempt to administer it fairly.

If you agree then please take a moment to ask for explanation from the Congestion Charge

James - maybe you could ask Congestion Charge for an explanation on behalf of SE1 residents?
Thursday 31 January 2008 12.04pm
I think the answer's there on the map. If you look where the pink areas are in the West, then you can see that they are there to include a couple of major roads that, whilst they don't fall inside the zone, are very close to the zone and parallel with other major roads which are inside the zone (and therefore would be used as alternatives). This isn't really the case in SE1.

If you live in the zone then, of course, you do get a 90% discount.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 31 January 2008 1.22pm
I don't think so, Ivanhoe. Residents of areas such as Fulham Road, Edith Grove, Gunter Grove, etc. etc. no more - or less - need to get into the zone than do the residents of Old Kent Road, Grange Road or Kennington Park Road.
Thursday 31 January 2008 1.30pm
I don't really understand that either. Presumably it's because you might need to access facilities near by that are in the C charge zone. If you live between Mansell Street and Leman Street just over TB, then you're in a tiny residents' zone, but why would you need to drive into the City from there? Surely if you live there but enter the C charge zone in Kensington, then the residents' zone isn't really applicable because you've driven across town. It's a bit unfair - if you're going to have it one side, then why not all the way round?

For example, I take my car to the garage on Morocco Street, which is only about half a mile from my house, but I live just outside the C charge. So, I am kind of being penalised for supporting local businesses.

ps I'm not anti the C charge.
Thursday 31 January 2008 2.04pm
I was mad when in order to take a sick elderly relative to Guy's hospital I had to pay the charge too. It's my local hospital! Should I have ordered an ambulance? Local businesses "consulted" about introducing the C charge were overwhelmingly against it's introduction, as were the residents and businesses of West London, obviously a new form of consultation in which the consultants got paid, people in the mayor's office got paid and no one listened to the residents or the businesses! I was in favour of the charge but not the implementation or boundary chosen.
Thursday 31 January 2008 3.59pm
Jerry...Isn't that a bit of a kop out....wherever you put the boundary people either just inside or just outside are going to be upset....either you want the C-zone and just have to deal with the issue of upsetting some people or you don't want it....it really is a siutaion where you are not going to please everyone.
Thursday 31 January 2008 4.58pm
jh...you're kinda right. I would like my cake and eat it too! If the M25 was chosen as a ring road around London then very few people would be cut off from their towns. That way the C charge could be seen for what it is, a tax on car ownership in London, a not unreasonable idea. I don't see that car owners in Hampstead, or Camden, which can get pretty congested, pay nothing to drive to their local hospital, but because I chose Southwark I have to pay.
Thursday 31 January 2008 5.16pm
I think the Residents' Discount Zone applies to those streets which are immediately outside the zone but - because of one ways, no entries etc. - HAVE to travel into the CGZ to return to roads outside the CGZ.
Thursday 31 January 2008 5.35pm
McQueen you are indeed correct....the road geography in that area is not quite as straight forward as it is around the rest of the C-zone so they had to make some exceptions so that people could get in and out of their own roads (via the zone). The people livivng in those roads have obviously benefitted if they want to travel into the zone by being counted as residents, but it is just a quirk of fate and their good fortune. It doesn't affect very many people at all and I guess everyone else outside the zone just has to accept that.
Friday 1 February 2008 10.51am
It is nothing to do with the road layout of the one-way 'West London link' roads.

A bit of googling tells us the answer.

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/Consultation/general/congestioncharging_response_extension.pdf (see end of page 1, beginning of page 2).

The Mayor consulted everyone on it, and whilst not scrapping the scheme like a majority of the public who responded to the consultation wanted him to, he did alter it. The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea asked the Mayor to give the resident's discount to all borough residents, rather than artificially 'cutting off' west of Warwick Road. This would render these areas less attractive to developers. This area is more deprived than other parts of the borough and has large vacant sites awaiting redevelopment.

It is a unique case since the western extension covered the vast majority of their borough and they did not want a small part of it to develop in character and economy differently. Westminster is entirely within it and Camden, Southwark, Lambeth and Tower Hamlets all have only small parts of their boroughs in the zone.

I haven't decided if I agree but if Ken Livingstone agreed with them there must have been some substance to their argument!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: