Fun pub or gastropub near Southwark/Waterloo/Borough?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
ari
Friday 1 February 2008 8.06pm
Hi- I am new to SE1 (living in Southwark near The Cut) and to London as well.

Looking for a nice pub or gastro-pub for a few drinks and possibly dinner on a saturday night with my sister....nothing too ultra-pricey though. We'd like some atmosphere but not so its so noisy you can't hear each other.

I know there are tons of reviews and threads on restaurants here, but I dont even know where to begin as being new to London, I have never heard of any of them... thanks!
jw
Friday 1 February 2008 11.22pm
I don't think you can beat The Anchor & Hope on The Cut for brilliant food and good lively atmosphere
Saturday 2 February 2008 9.42am
Welcome to SE1, Ari.

Agree re the Anchor and Hope, but it can be more than a bit difficult to get in to because it doesn't take reservations (at least, it didn't last time I checked) and it's always full of tourists (by which I mean anyone who's not from round here, of course).

Slightly off topic, but The Crown on Blackfriar's Bridge Road (no connection, etc) fits your bill fairly well, but is of little use to you in this case because, like many places around here, it doesn't open at the weekend (Grrr).
ari
Saturday 2 February 2008 12.28pm
Really? I don't understand why places don't open on the weekend here!!

Thanks I may just try my luck with Anchor and Hope. We were wanting to have a few drinks first anyhow so I don't mind waiting for a table.

If anyone can think of any other places not crowded with tourists please let me know. I was recommended The Woolpack (Bermondsey St) but I really wanted somewhere closer to Southwark
Saturday 2 February 2008 4.16pm
I like the Horse and Walrus near Lambeth North, I know that the Horse isn't open at the weekends - at least it wasn't last time I wanted to go.
jw
Saturday 2 February 2008 4.16pm
Hi Ari,

Tip for the Anchor - there is a separate "restaurant" section and bar area although really they are pretty much the same - the bar area is less set out I guess.

It made a difference when the restaurant was the non smoking area but now you may as well tell them you are happy to eat in the bar if there is a long wait for the restuaranty bit.

Great wine and great staff
Saturday 2 February 2008 5.16pm
If you're looking for a pub near Southwark tube, try the Lord Nelson . I never have, but it's on my list of places to visit.

(That's actually quite a rubbish recommendation as far as recommendations go, but still.)
Saturday 2 February 2008 6.21pm
The Hartley in Tower Bridge Road is apparently a nice gastropub.. never eaten there but have had been there a few times for drinks. Some good reviews from Time Out etc in the window..
Monday 4 February 2008 9.29am
Just refurbished and under new ownership is The Three Stags on the corner of Kennington Road and Lambeth Road - down the road a bit from the Imperial War Museum. Not been there yet myself, but relatives reported excellent food and service.
Monday 4 February 2008 1.57pm
Hi Ari,

I live on the cut and a couple of other pubs worth trying are:
Kings Arms 25 Roupell Street, Waterloo, London, SE1 8TB - bit like the tardis looks smaller on the outside and food v nice. http://www.pubs.com/pub_details.cfm?ID=201

The Ring and The Windmill both on the cut do nice Thai food but not much seating.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network