Gutless Councillors

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 3 February 2008 1.47pm
Re: Cafe Nero planning application on Bankside. (The story's on the front page of this forum at the momment)

Backing away from a fight from another big enterprise. Shame on you!
You're supposed to be sticking up for us.

Word association game:

please feel free to join in.

Related news & features

Sunday 3 February 2008 4.52pm
Which councilors have you raised this with?
How much of (y)our council tax would you like Southwark to spend on this battle?
Sunday 3 February 2008 4.55pm
But what sort of fight did you have in mind? Judging from the report, the council concluded that there was no valid reason to refuse the application - ie the previous waste problems had been addressed. So a refusal would have led to an appeal, which would have been expensive for council tax payers, and which Caffe Nero would have won. I'd rather the council picked fights they might win.
Sunday 3 February 2008 5.17pm
As Graham and Richard say, any other decision would have been difficult to sustain.

I do think there's a broader issue about the way big chains treat the planning process, though.

This happens with chain coffee stores all over the country - start trading first, regularise the planning situation later:
gives just a few examples.

The Lordship Lane case is more complicated because the main issue was the controls put in place to maintain a balance of shops and cafes in the street.

Of course, another point re. the St Mary Overie Dock case is that planning permission for the filling in of the arches at the end of Clink Street was granted on the basis of educational use in connection with the Golden Hinde.

If the original application had been for a coffee shop, would it have been considered differently?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 4 February 2008 10.00am
I think the councillors did the exact right thing. They expressed their strong displeasure and have created negative publicity for the firm. Plus, all the residents/businesses neighbouring this (i.e. lots of apartment occupiers) will have been notified about it and will have had their chance to object/support and to find out that Caffe Nero decided to start trading without a valid planning permission in place!

There were probably no valid planning reasons to refuse the application so Caffe Nero would, as is their right, likely have appealed and won thousands of pounds' costs off the council.
Monday 4 February 2008 3.08pm
That happens with chain anything stores, not just coffee, actually James.

That said, I often feel the planning system is too restrictive.
Wednesday 6 February 2008 7.30pm

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: