Floorboards sloping - help please?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 6 February 2008 11.07am
Hi - I'm seeking help in getting slopey floorboards fixed - I have a pullout day bed which at one end is in mid-air due to the minor slope in the floor. Please can anyone suggest a builder/carpenter who may be able to help getting this fixed?
Any suggestions / advice welcome.
Wednesday 6 February 2008 1.03pm
A block of wood under the lower leg(s)?
Wednesday 6 February 2008 1.10pm
If only it were that simple - it rolls out and therefore needs a level floor in order to work effectively. It's a contraption of infernal Ikea.
I suspect I need to get the floor fixed.
Please can anyone suggest a handyman/small builder who'd tackle this?
Wednesday 6 February 2008 2.33pm
New bed instead? Abandon the Swedish way? Cheaper... Easier...
Wednesday 13 February 2008 9.55pm
A good carpenter should cost 150-200 per day, plus materials and what have you. Floorboards being floorboards, you can't just level one or two - you'll probably need to replace the lot, plus skirting boards, which will also involve a spot of redecoration. So at least 1,500+ for an average sized room. Sounds an awful lot of trouble just to get a bed to work, and besides, slopy floorboards are quite quirky and a fun feature to have!
Howabout unscrewing the wheels from the bed, and sandwiching a bit of wood in between?
If all else fails, stick the bed on eBay and get one that's more compatable..
Thursday 14 February 2008 10.46am
Hi Sophie

Did a quick Google for "level floor" this morning - got a couple of interesting results.

One describes the problem with wooden joists, the other concrete floors. At least you could have a quick read-up before any handy man has a look and relate to what he is saying.

Hope this helps a bit.
Tuesday 6 May 2008 5.18pm
Hi Sophie, I am a Local Handyman, If you still have the problem with the floorboards I could take a look for you.This my website were you can take a look at the work I do and contact me, www.1handymanservice.co.uk thanks, Nick.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: