Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 6 February 2008 10.31pm
Anyone know if Cubana would be a reasonable location for a valentine's meal?

Looking for a nice, vibrant restaurant for a dinner with the gf, preferably not too pricey, this place seems ideal...
Thursday 7 February 2008 11.59am
Well, you might consider looking at the reviews it gets...

Clearly, people who had a bad experience are more likely to post reviews than those who were positive, but it's not encouraging.
Thursday 7 February 2008 2.20pm
I went to Cubana once and it didn't rate well even as an impromptu meal with a mate.

If you want vibrant, a couple of minutes' walk away on The Cut is Tas turkish restaurant, they usually have a fun atmosphere (probably a guitar player) and good food. There are also branches in Borough High St and opposite Shakespeare's Globe.
Thursday 7 February 2008 2.49pm
I've never eaten there but its a fantastic and lively venue for a late night drink.
Sunday 10 February 2008 12.19pm
Definitely not! It's more of a bar than a restaurant - the food's OK, but nothing special. They wouldn't even serve me a Caprhina as they said it took too long to crush the limes and were only doing Mojitos that night...
Being close to the station, it's a popular haunt for after work drinks and I'd really look for somewhere else if you want a quiet romantic evening.
You could try the Waterloo Bar and Kitchen? More romantic, but 30-40 per head:

Or a good Indian if you fancy something cheaper - the Imperial Tandoori on Kennington Road (just opposite the police station) is good, 15-25 per head, as are the Indians on The Cut too.

The Tapas bar on The Cut isn't much cop (although the guitar player was good) and I didn't rate the new noodle bar either.

Also, it's Chinese New Year this week, so a trip to Chinatown could be something different, although you need to speak Chinese to make an accurate booking...
Sunday 10 February 2008 10.20pm
If you like Chinese you could try Dragon Castle in Elephant and Castle - often said to be one of the best Chinese restaurants in London. Also on The Cut is the Young Vic where there is a good bar and restaurant.
Sunday 10 February 2008 11.36pm
Perhaps I'm being a bit naive (or maybe my partner is unduly picky) but I don't think I'd get much credit if I took her to one of the serviceable but decidedly unromantic Indian restaurants on The Cut for Valentine's Day.

Experience suggests you should either dig deep into your pocket or - to create a favourable impression in a much more sincere but perhaps also slightly risky way - cook for her yourself, eat by candlelight, wash up afterwards, and serve her favourite wine.
Tuesday 12 February 2008 3.36pm
Go for any restaurant near Tower Bridge [Pont if you are playing for keeps, Dim T if you are seeing how it goes... Dim T] and book the Champagne on Tower Bridge to go with it - did it 2 years ago - unique, romantic and at only 10 per person including champagne you are all set for excellent return on investment....

Tower Bridge Fizz & Kiss
Wednesday 13 February 2008 6.59am
' are all set for excellent return on investment....'

Like it:)

Good suggestion, I've I was a woman I'd love you for it Ben. I ran past there last night on my routine jog and noted how nice the area is looking since they have put in a good deal of atmospheric lighting, though I'd did raise an eyebrow to H.M.S Belfast being made to look pretty.

Dress up warm though it'll be pretty cold up there, though I guess love might help.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: