Alscot Road Consultation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 7 February 2008 10.02am
I saw a poster about this walking to walk this morning. There were very few details, but it looks like they are going to pedestrianise areas around the park? Does anybody have more info.
Thursday 7 February 2008 10.31am
Details of the consultation events here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/3975
and
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/3976

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 7 February 2008 11.01am
Apart from the parking ticket machines not being emptied frequently enough so you cannot pay for parking, I have never noticed a problem with cars either driving or parking down Alscot Road.

Not convinced that the photo on the council's website is Alscot Road or Spa Road
Thursday 7 February 2008 12.25pm
I think the aim of the project is to tie together the surrounding areas with the new spa gardens and also increase footfall to the blue...this is something I'm fully in support of.
Thursday 7 February 2008 2.28pm
The southwark link showed a picture looking remarkably like the aylesbury...has alscot road changed that much!
Thursday 7 February 2008 3.27pm
I've received a consultation questionnaire about the scheme.

However, I have MAJOR misgivings about the quality of the consultation given:

(a) Henley Drive is labelled on the map as Penrose Street! Penrose Street runs off Walworth Road in SE17.
(b) The language used in the consultation questionnaire is so emotive/leading, it is going to give Southwark the answers it wants.

With apologies, because I don't have the questionnaire with me but I will try to post some examples of what I mean tomorrow. I also plan to contact Mouchel Parkman to raise my misgivings.
Thursday 7 February 2008 4.41pm
McQueen,

From your understanding of the questionnaire, what is Southwark's agenda here? What are they trying to achieve?

Thanks,

Chris
ADT
Friday 8 February 2008 9.51am
If is anything like the consultation questionnaire for the Salisbury Row scheme, then Southwark's aim appears to be to cut down and calm road traffic to benefit pedestrians and improve/promote the use of green spaces. However (in the Salisbury Row scheme at least), they fail to take account of the need for residential vehicular access and egress, and they cut down on residential parking.

The Salisbury Row scheme questionnaire also has similar language, and inconsistencies - like a 'proposed' 20 mph zone, where the area is mostly or completely 20 mph already.

Have you checked the earlier consultation documents on the Southwark website? You may find more inconsistencies. Salisbury Row scheme proposes Mason Street one-way southbound, but in the earlier documents the only suggestion of a change to traffic movement is to make it one-way northbound!

I'm in favour of the general idea, and lots of the traffic calming proposals would be useful improvements, but I do have doubts about the quality and diligence of the consultation process.
Friday 8 February 2008 10.01am
Bear in mind that when the 20mph zone was introduced for Grange road, they were unaware of a previous 20mph zone applying to the roads off Grange road (Crimscott St, Pages Walk, Willow Walk) etc, and have subsequently removed the latter zone.

Don't expect Southwark to know what it is doing!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: