Livesey Museum of Childhood Under Threat of Closure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
SLJ Thursday 7 February 2008 12.17pm
I live in SE17 with two young boys and just been told that the Livesey Museum on the Old Kent Road is apparently under threat of closure by Southwark Council as part of cost-cutting measures as early as April 2008.

It's a unique resource in the area and a great place to take children (old and young) and it would be a real shame to lose it.

Please visit the Livesey Museum website (www.liveseymuseum.org.uk)and sign the online petition - if you access the link to the facebook group they post, you'll find out about the letter they plan to send the press tomorrow (FRiday 9th Feb) and the Executive Meeting set for 7pm on Monday 12th where they say the budget cuts decision is due to be made.

(This is my first post - though i've been a reader for a couple of years and found the forum and invaluable source of information and thought it would be a good place to spread the word even at this 11th hour!).

Advertisement

Jan the old one Thursday 7 February 2008 12.34pm
Lets see how long it takes for Berkley to buy the building..I will sign the petition.
James Hatts Wednesday 20 February 2008 1.46pm
JGarcia Friday 22 February 2008 12.40pm
Does anyone know the outcome of the council meeting on wednesday this week?
James Hatts Friday 22 February 2008 12.56pm
Yes - the budget was approved and the museum will close.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
James Hatts Tuesday 26 February 2008 4.25pm
You've got till this Friday to visit before it shuts down.

James Hatts Monday 3 March 2008 9.45am
George Livesey died in 1908 - so for one of his "ancestors" to speak exclusively to the South London Press in 2008 is quite a feat...

(In fact - and rather more plausibly - the interview is with George Livesey's great-niece.)

jonathon Monday 3 March 2008 4.02pm
latest piece of soon to be recycled southwark-council-is-great-magazine says it is to be closed as if it were certain yes

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions